PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Smoke what ya like and don't worry about what others think or say.
Good point @lordofthepiperings (and the others who've stated similarly.)
I think if someone is an OTC / basket pipe smoker, say it loud and proud. Don't worry about what others might think. I'd bet they'd would discover a lot of people here would agree with them, but are also keeping quiet.
My grandfather smoked an OTC and pretty much never varied. Me, I can smoke the same aro day after day, but at the same time, I still like some variety. Whatever your preferences, it's as legitimate as anyone else's.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Yep amd one day you will shredd up a small amount of Capitan Black and sprinkle it on the top of a bowl of your favorite English to sweeten that charring lite.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Progression of tastes in pipe smoking follows the same course that middle and older age does, where waist lines widen and minds narrow.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Progression of tastes in pipe smoking follows the same course that middle and older age does, where waist lines widen and minds narrow.
That's more offensive than knocking OTCs, IMO.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Dangit, Locopony - now I'm getting a craving for those pork belly sliders I had in New Orleans... :crying:

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Then tou may do something radical, like put a bit of middleton cherry in the bottom of the bowl, load the bowl with Dunhill 965 , amd sprinkle some Captain Black on the top.

You will post how much it livened up your smoke that you danced the DiAnza jig, and you will be pronounce a decadent bastard, and a blasphemer. Words will fly into the streets and blood will mingle with mud, whoa the pain, the black voodoo, the wet jigsaw puzzels.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I never knock anything until i try it. I just tried Carter Hall Recently and i loved it, i still wanna try Captain Black Dark and i always loved Mac barren's OTC blends like Vanilla Cream.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I wasn't personally offended
That's implying that someone may have been offended, right? Which led me to asking how is the original post offensive? If I was reading that incorrectly, then please disregard my other comment.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's implying that someone may have been offended, right?
Sorry Sean - point taken. I guess where we diverge is if watching how we phrase things is "walking on eggshells" or not. Personally, I don't think it is.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Well from a different perspective, it might be another's point of view that OTC smokes are categorically lower on the tobacco food chain. What if someone has absolute hatred towards OTC tobacco? It would be quite a bit ridiculous, but it's a possibility, right? I mean obviously it's real; it's tangible. But if someone wants to classify or to refer to an OTC such as Captain Black as a tobacco that isn't "real," are they really being offensive toward people who smoke it? I suppose we're just splitting hairs over nothing at this point.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Before the internet OTC's were, by definition, the only tobaccos I smoked; so I don't really knock those who still enjoy them.

Of course, I was fortunate enough to get to good B&M (Iwan Ries!) now and then, so my Sail and Amphora days were punctuated

by high quality house blends and exotic imports. I still smoke Sail (yellow), BTW, and I dearly miss Amphora (brown).

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Captain Black #1 selling pipe tobacco, fact

That it and other OTC are some how not real tobacco, is opinion a should be taken as such. Take an opinion and a nickel and add them together and you will have five cents that's all. I am a C B smoker well, lanes RLP6 and 1Q are my main smokes because in bulk they are cheaper than C B. I was not offended because I know the statement was someones opinion. There a few people around who just hate OTC's and like to take a poke at them when they can. I am sure there are a few who enjoying taking a poke at high end pipes and tobaccos too. We should all be big enough to take opinions for what they are worth. A real pipe smoker is someone who smokes a pipe with tobacco in it, no mater what the brand or the price tag.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Well from a different perspective, it might be another's point of view that OTC smokes are categorically lower on the tobacco food chain. What if someone has absolute hatred towards OTC tobacco?...I suppose we're just splitting hairs over nothing at this point.
Sean I think your arguments are reasonable, but I think we're beginning to move further away from this specific case.
My original point was that we have some long term members who enjoy OTCs. It's what they enjoy and more power to them I say. However, without question, if someone wants to come right out and make the claim that these pipesmokers are not smoking "real" tobacco (which IMO also implies they're not "real" pipesmokers), that's a different story. They have every right to make that argument.
I just don't think in this specific case that anyone was actually trying to say that.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
As a side note to the various degrees of offense, regarding the affordability issue: those smoking OTCs based on price may be pleasantly surprised to learn that there are many fantastic bulk blends, by Peter Stokkebye and others, that are actually cheaper than OTCs (especially in quantities over 2 ounces).

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I can see why a person would not appreciate being told the leaf they been smoking isnt "real" tobacco. I think the original post is spot on. Im glad I never read that thread up to this point.

430pat

Lurker
Jul 5, 2013
Connecticut
Hi,new guy here was curious if anyone could tell me how long I can store FVF in it's original 250 gr. bag or do I need to jar it.
Thanks

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I'm happy when I see anyone smoking a pipe with tobacco and consider everyone who enjoys putting tobacco in their pipes to be part of the brotherhood of pipe smokers. I think people should smoke what they like. I might draw a soft line at the RYO tobacco that is branded as pipe tobacco. I'm not sure that it is really pipe tobacco, and if it is all that anyone has ever tried in a pipe, I might encourage that person to try something else.
Smoke what you like, and let others do the same. Share / trade your tobacco with others so everyone can find what they enjoy. This isn't a hobby that should be about snobbery in pipes or tobacco choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.