PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

itsnotuitsme

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2023
Germany
A few days ago I finally openened my tin of Robert McConnell Pure Perique. Fantastic Stuff. Love it for mixing. Im on my first pure bowl right now (dare I say, it took quite a bit of courage, as the tin smells as if I cured my old underpants in a dung heap for a few days - fantastic stuff non the less).

Now, if I am to believe tobaccoreviews, it's not "real" perique. So i have to ask: What is? And to add, is it worth going for another "real" perique or are they rather similar in taste (pure or mixed)?

Edit: While we're on it, another thing i can't quite figure out: Is perique purely a process, or is there a special sort of tobacco used exclusively? i read that it's supposed to be a variety of red burley, but somewhere else i saw virginias mentioned etc. etc.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
so the mcconnell perique isn't? i thought to call it perique it had to? excuse my confusion....

so is the mcconnell perique merely not made there, or is it a different recipe? or both?
I wouldn't trust explicitly what people say online. I wouldn't discount it out of hand either. But I'd ask who said it and what says they know what they're talking about. Certain rumors get started and then keep going.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Take this however you may. It comes from a blog on SPC.

"Acadian is a blended variation that utilizes some portion of tobacco grown in St. James Parish in addition to similar leaves grown elsewhere and is the most common type of Perique."
Is McConnell Pure Perique known to use Acadian? Just seems like there’s a lot of speculation in all directions.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Folks on TR swear that neither the McConnell “pure perique” offering or the Torben Dansk “pure perique” offering are, in fact, perique.
I have both napping in the stash but haven’t tried em yet.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A bit like Darjeeling tea - the amount labelled as “Darjeeling” exceeds the total production by ten thousand-fold 🤔
It’s not quite as debased as that. Pure St James quality can vary quite a bit. The addition creates a high quality consistent result, according to Mark Ryan.
When I started smoking the D&R Rimboche blends, Mark recommended the Acadian over the St James version to me.
I have several different pure St James Periques from L. A. Poche that were gifts from Mark. They’re different from the tobacco that’s sold on line as blending Perique. I wouldn’t say that they are better, with the possible exception of the 15 year barrel aged stuff, just different.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If it doesn't St. James Parish it's not the real stuff. That said it is a process and can be duplicated in any number of ways. Some ways are not so good and other ways it can be very good.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
This is an interesting discussion. I did not know that so much of the perique many of us enjoy is actually Acadian perique.

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
I'm almost positive its like like Champaign. It cant be called Champaign unless its from the Champaign region of France .

Reactions: yanoJL