PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
WHOA ! STOP THE PRESSES ! MAJOR SENIOR MOMENT !

================================================

In the previous post I dissed J.F. Germain's Royal Jersey. That's the good stuff. (The only truly nutty tobacco I've ever tasted.)

I confused it with D&R's Rimboché S.J., which is the so-so cigarette-like tobacco.

My bad. Sorry for the mix-up. Next time I'll consult my notes twice, then type once.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
You get an A on your homework Cortez. Good job. ;-)
I agree that Mac Baren's HH Acadian Perique is excellent. Something I've said in many posts before are that there are two blends that I think give the real Perique experience.
I am basing this on my time spent in the L.A. Poche Perique plant in the processing and fermenting areas. Mac Baren's HH Acadian Perique, and McClelland Blakeney's Best Acadian Ribbon both have a tin aroma and taste of the Perique processing plant ... and it is a damned good taste and smell.

kenrocks

Lurker
Apr 29, 2011
Hate to bump an old topic, but I came across this while googling perique tobacco...
My dad used to sell pipe tobacco and moved alot of his old stock in the house...been trying to

get rid of some of it to clear some room and I came across a few cases of "Jewel of St. James Genuine

Louisiana Tobacco" in 1 oz jars.
I don't have any use for it, and I was thinking of just listing it on CL, but I figured I'd try here too. I have tons of it...if anyone's interested, PM or email (Kenneth.Tomplait@gmail.com)...I'm not a for-real lurker here, so email is preferred...

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I think the wikipedia article needs to be updated to reflect the fact that there is more than one grower etc...
I am from Louisiana and you used to be able to get it straight from the local tobacconist shops. That's not the case now unfortunately and I am curious if there are any places can get it locally like direct from La Pouche

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
We look forward to the Mark Ryan articles. Mark is just an incredible fellow and it is no stretch of imagination to say he pretty much saved the perique industry.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
onepyrotec -
I mix McC Perique with McC 5100 as one blend, and another batch of Carter Hall and Perique. I vary the amount of Perique from 16% -20% depending on my mood. I'll usually mix 84 grams of one, and 16 grams of Peruqie, then let it age for a few months, if I can wait that long. Both mixes are very nice, and each is a little different.
Good luck, and let us know what you've tried, and how you like it.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Daughters & Ryan has a great Saint James Rimboche' SJ as opposed to their other blend Rimboche' AP. I have the SJ and enjoy it thoroughly. Now I'm thinking I need to order the AP for a taste comparison.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
If you do try the Rimboche' smoke really slowly. It's so dry that if you're not careful it will taste like eating a ghost pepper.

I've used the McClelland blending perique with some ishmir added to Sutliff's French Quarter. I only put it up to meld a couple of weeks ago. I want to wait at least 3 months to try it again. I smoked a couple of bowlfuls before putting it up and the experience I had straight away was that every single puff was different. I'm hoping time will ease this some. I'm not sure if it's Acadian or St. James. To be truthful I was kind of disappointed in the bag aroma when I got it in. I was looking forward to that raisony, peppery aroma when I open the bag and was shocked at how little of an aroma there actually was from the bag.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I have a 1 oz jar from the Percy Martin farms that memory tells me was jarred in 1999. So I want to be sure it get's what would be the best use when I do open it.
For the original poster, there is a seller on ebay who has been selling jars from 2005 at $39.95 each.

EBAY Perique auction

Status
Not open for further replies.