PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
As much as I love dead tree editions, I do the vast majority of my reading on my Kindle Fire. i'm 99% sure my wife's aunt is getting me a Paperwhite for Christmas. Not only are readers more convenient for carrying books, they are also way more efficient at acquiring them. I regularly check out e-books from the library, and if I do buy something, it downloads instantly. i don't even have to put on pants. I'll still buy physical books if it's something I want to see on my shelf. For example, I'm holding out for a hardcover of Mariano Rivera's memoir because he's my favorite baseball player of all time and I want to look at his book regularly
The one thing I do always buy in hard copy is comic books, mostly to support my local B&M comic shop and because digital editions are just as expensive.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I've been an avid reader since I was a kid (reading was never a form of punishment) and I always challenged my reading level by taking up Sherlock Holmes, Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Dickens and Moby Dick as a kid. But I became a Kindle convert when it made economical sense to download the free books (finally caught up on other classics such as Dracula and Frankenstein) and also not have to tote around heavy books either, like Atlas Shrugged.
I still love analog books, but now I don't need to weed out old books to make space for new ones, plus I read comics on my tablet as well.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I love DTBs but the wife got me a Kindle and I love it. I still buy the real thing for my other hobby but the Kindle wins with everything else I read. Its just so much easier, lighter and convenient.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
A kindle is a must for me. I read hundreds of books a year and would be buried if it were not for my Kindle.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I prefer the feel of paper. I used to read tons but now I go months without touching a book. =[ As for finishing a book I don't like... I just won't finish it. There has only been one so far, Enders Game.

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
Real books for me. Hardcovers, at that. I stare at a computer screen during the week. I want to feel and smell the paper. Plus it makes you really contemplate your choice when traveling.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I prefer real books, but I did read my first book on a Kindle this year and enjoyed it.
It would probably save me space both in my bag and in my home, but I like having lots of books around. I usually have to take a large suitcase full to donate or sell each year to keep from drowning in them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really want to use my Kindle. I don't object. It's just that I live in a sea of "real" books. They keep

floating in and demanding my attention. So I will re-charge my Kindle and get started again with it,

and hope I can at least use it for some of my reading. The feel of a real book is an anchor. The bookmark,

the ease of making notes if the book is mine. And so on. Paper books (paper and hardback) are embedded

in my life.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Life is too short to struggle through a bad book, so I don't. Although I did get to the end of The Luminaries though, through sheer bloody mindedness if nothing else.
I'm still trawling through the bookshops and avoiding the inevitable purchase of a kindle whilst hugging a book or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.