PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
So I bought a tin of Dunhill Flake a while back, opened it, smoked some of it, then let it sit while I moved on to try some other blends. Now I've come back to it to find that I've let it completely dry out...when I rub out a flake I get twigs instead of ribbons.
My thought was to place a barely damp piece of paper towel in the tin with the tobacco for maybe a few days. Would that work do you think or is another better/proper method?

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
First you pre-heat a steam iron to the hottest setting, then place a newspaper on a heat-proof surface I do it right on the ironing board, spread your tobacco out on the newspaper, then use a bottle with a spray nozzle to spray the tobacco with water once or twice and finally hold the iron above the tobacco and steam for 10 seconds. I know a few other ways but they take allot longer this is the best way if you want to do it fast.

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
Use distilled water only. Make sure none of the tobacco touches the sponge/paper with the water on it. Tried that with some leftovers in a small plastic baggy and it worked fine.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
"Take your dried out tobacco and lay it out on a paper towel and spritz it with the spritzer and let it sit for awhile"
I agree! This is probably the best and quickest method for dehydrating tobacco. I never understood the need for sponges, paper towels etc. Just use a spray bottle and you can smoke your tobacco in just a few hours. There is a learning curve for sure. Too much water and your tobacco will mold. Unless you are a complete idiot you might over spray your tobacco one time, after that you will probably have learned how much to apply.
I think this paper towel, sponge, potato thing came about because it adds to the ambiance of pipe smoking? It's a little more romantic/special to use the towel method instead of just spritzing some water.

Status
Not open for further replies.