PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I've had pretty severe tongue bite in the past and this is not it. Sort of feels like I have been grinding sand/sandpaper on my tongue and roof of my mouth. Doesn't hurt at all but just gives a strange, raw feeling in my mouth. Should I hold off on smoking until my mouth heals or is this just part of the process?

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I ain't no doctor and I'm not sure it would help if I were, but when I get weirdness like that it's almost always the precursor of a cold. If it moves to the throat, it's a certainty. Are you getting lots of vitamin C? Tobacco usage uses it up pretty fast, I've read somewhere.

Could be an allergy. Could be the tobacco. I'd quit for a couple of days, then smoke something different when I returned. If that's OK, then smoke the stuff that may have caused your malady. If the same thing happens, you could then unload the tobacco here. Sell it to some poor bastard that we all hope isn't as sensitive as you may be.

Crap happens. I once smoked so heavily that fissures developed on my tongue. Looked like the Grand Canyon in miniature or something. They actually bled slightly from the cracks. Quit for two weeks to avoid having to have my head amputated. But, as always, YMMV (although what distance has to do with anything eludes me.)

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I've had pretty severe tongue bite in the past and this is not it. Sort of feels like I have been grinding sand/sandpaper on my tongue and roof of my mouth. Doesn't hurt at all but just gives a strange, raw feeling in my mouth. Should I hold off on smoking until my mouth heals or is this just part of the process?
You know the answer without asking - yes, quit until it is back to normal just like with the other similar concerns you've raised before. It's not a process that involves toughening up your mouth (i.e. "process") and you've been at it long enough to know that. Too hot, too fast, slow down.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Not a doctor, so I'm unqualified to say if it would be safe. But it doesn't sound like it would be enjoyable. Maybe take a day (or several) off until you're firing on all cylinders.
I have definitely had a leathery, tired palate from smoking too much in the past. Unfortunately I found no quick fix solution. Just time and rest.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I ain't no doctor and I'm not sure it would help if I were, but when I get weirdness like that it's almost always the precursor of a cold. If it moves to the throat, it's a certainty. Are you getting lots of vitamin C? Tobacco usage uses it up pretty fast, I've read somewhere.

Could be an allergy. Could be the tobacco. I'd quit for a couple of days, then smoke something different when I returned. If that's OK, then smoke the stuff that may have caused your malady. If the same thing happens, you could then unload the tobacco here. Sell it to some poor bastard that we all hope isn't as sensitive as you may be.

Crap happens. I once smoked so heavily that fissures developed on my tongue. Looked like the Grand Canyon in miniature or something. They actually bled slightly from the cracks. Quit for two weeks to avoid having to have my head amputated. But, as always, YMMV (although what distance has to do with anything eludes me.)
Man! That sounds painful! You must have a stronger will to smoke than I because I would be out for a while!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Usually when I hear this it's a side effect of medicines. If that's possible then research how people deal with it or if it makes a larger problem.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I suffered the bite and general rough mouth when I started back in Feb. Getting a Peterson P-Lip with 9mm filter was a total game changer for me. Even if you dry the tobacco, you won't believe how moist the filter is when you remove it after a smoke. Weighing it before and after, I routinely measure an increase of 0.25g, most of which is water vapor.

The last time I tried to smoke without a filter, even very slow, it was like someone was gently steaming the inside of my mouth; five puffs and I was done. I could tell it was going to bite the crap out of me.

I can sip on the P-Lip 9mm all night without any burn. Def worth a try.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Frank Sinatra smoked Camel cigarettes and drank Jack Daniel’s’ whiskey and was married to Ava Gardner (when she was young) and was in more movies, earned more money selling records, and headlined more shows, than can be easily counted, and got slick away with all of it and died an old man at age 82.

Frank’s advice to his friends about smoking and drinking and other such vices was famously, don’t beat yourself up. Take a few drags on the Camel and let it burn out. Ice the whiskey and add water. Don’t chase the broad, let her chase you.

Take life easy.

If it hurts you, stop.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Nothing hurt by taking a few days or week off. No need to punish your body over a smoke.

If I have a cold/flu or am just not feeling well (i.e. sore throat), then I don't smoke. If I have a canker-sore, then I don't smoke until it's healed. If I have tongue bite, I also give my tongue a rest for a day or two.

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
Unfortunately a sore mouth/tongue made that way by too much hot smoke responds best to that heat's absence. Sure, you could smoke by inhalng through you ear, butt this just prolongs the treatment period.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Stop smoking, heal, use Biotine mouthwash. Then smoke straight blends. You may be allergic to one of the types of tobaccos. Start with Virginia, then Burley. They're the most common.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm going to be the odd man out here. If it doesn't bother you to smoke, why stop? I'm one of doctors worse enemies when it comes to smoking. I know it thins the blood (I know this for sure) and it isn't good for physically healing.

No surgery I've ever had, pulled teeth, no cold, flu, COVID has ever stopped me from smoking. You know, when you shouldn't smoke for a bit.

I don't drink alcohol. I'm a smoker. It's what I do, and what I love.

***Smoking is bad for your health, blah blah ***