PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, would you agree that the perique is more a light condiment in Gowrie compared to most Vapers?"
I would indeed say the amount of Perique used in OG is lower than your average VaPer but for matey to call it a Virginia (implying straight Virginia) would of course be wrong.
Some folks don't taste the Latakia in G L Pease 'Fillmore' but I certainly do.
Regards,
Jay.

Reactions: Papamique

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
No, I agree. I would also welcome a recommendation for a straight, complex Virginia to try. I have heard/read mixed reviews about FVF but is it the best example?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I have heard/read mixed reviews about FVF but is it the best example?"
I cannot say whether you would find it is the best example or not but I personally adore the stuff.
It is not one of the most reviewed blends on Tobaccoreviews.com for nothing though :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Two of the most mentioned

FVF

Blackwoods Flake

I like Blackwoods best

Many/most prefer FVF best of all

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wonderful post!
I think it's fair to classify some Virginia blends as "straight Virginia" even though they contain a trace of Perique.

It's my understanding that it is used to curb some of the piquancy of the Virginia leaf. I think we would all be surprised

at how many blenders add a pinch of Perique to mellow their Virginia offerings without ever mentioning it.

VaPer blends, OTOH, use Perique as a foil or even a main player in the blend.
As for recommending a good straight Virginia, Astley's #44 (flake) is a frequently overlooked top-notch blend.
Again, thank you, aquadoc, for an edifying post.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I think it's fair to classify some Virginia blends as "straight Virginia" even though they contain a trace of Perique."
Hi Cortez, I would seriously argue this point...a blend is a straight Virginia or it isn't. It would be wrong of me to try to sell my house as having five bedrooms when in actual fact it only has four bedrooms plus a tiny boxroom! To do so would be to make a dishonest representation in my view.
As regards the excellent Golden Glow I can only put that down to being a relative newcomer to the market and that its availability in the States is likely very limited if available at all!
That would be a shame as it's a cracking straight Virginia!
Regards,
Jay.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Picked up a 100g tin of Old Gowrie just a few weeks ago, I used to smoke quite a bit but drifted away for a while. This new tin is much stickier and significantly higher moisture than I remember. A little tongue bite if not careful - the older stuff you could abuse at will and it never bit back.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've had the pleasure of several Virginia blends and some with just Virginia and have only tried one Rattray's offering.

Marlin Flake. I loved it!

Now, don't laff, but a really good tasting straight VA is a blend from D&R called PenHooker.

Easily converted to a VaPa with a slight addition and a few days in the jar, if so desired.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Whoever likes Gow-ray will also love Scottish Cake by McConnells (same ingrients va/per/ky). Scottish Cake is like a fruitier, sweeter version of Gowrie.
I haven't tried Old Gowrie yet but Scottish Cake is a must try Virginia blend.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Deniz: Thank you for added information, this made it clear once and for all,nevertheless, as for taste, I more on Old Gowrie kinda guy(simpler and more straightforward its seems to me)addtionally allow me to introduce you This HU Tobacco Indaba by Musico it might be something you may like,though theres one minus point,in the U.S this bled is hardly awailable.Pfeifendepot.de has it ready for shipping

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Bump for this fine blend. Cracked a tin from 2000 yesterday and gave it about 4 hours drying time.
Never tried this particular blend. The tin note is excellent. Full of spice and red fruits. Chunky ribbons that act more like a broken flake.

38819605_10157148351247573_7762197452353961984_n.jpg

The first bowl was much less strong than I expected. HOTW is a staple of mine and I like the spice their Va's bring. This is a much softer, more full bodied smoke with less sharpness especially in the first 1/3 of the bowl.
The second half is were this stuff really shines. Much deeper flavors start to come through. Quite different and more diverse than Hal.
Thought this excellent mix deserved a mention.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm a sucker for a good looking tin, and that's one good looking tin! I've heard Old Gowrie mentioned enough by Virginia enthusiasts that I'll put it on my list since I've recently developed an appreciation for a good Virginia Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.