PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
So I recently picked the pipe back up after a long hiatus. Lots of changes in the time I was away. Latest installment in that series...

This morning I was thinking to myself, you know my tastes have changed quite a bit, I think maybe I should try Red Rapparee again, I bet I'd like it now.

Almost everywhere I looked online, they were out of 90% of the Rattray's blends (pretty much just the Aros in stock). I did manage to find a place with one 100g tin of Red Rapparee left, so I'm good for now.

But now I'm all curious. Is Rattray just another brand that's part of the whole "sometimes they have it, most times they don't" phenomenon that seems to be the new normal for EU blends here in the US? Or is there something else going on?

I did do a search on this but didn't see anything. Seems like it's the kind of thing that probably has been asked before. I just couldn't find anything specifically about Rattray.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I'm not exactly sure as to why (maybe similar reason to SG blends), but yeah, if you want Rattray's blends, especially the popular ones like Marlin Flake, Old Gowrie, Hal O' the Wynd, etc., then you'll have to keep an eye out for the drops throughout the year. Places like SP will have them a couple of times per year, but those aforementioned blends will sell out within a few hours to a day, give or take.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is Rattray just another brand that's part of the whole "sometimes they have it, most times they don't" phenomenon that seems to be the new normal for EU blends here in the US? Or is there something else going on?
Basically, yes. It's been hit or miss for years now, pretty much like a lot of other blends that K&K makes. Then again, K&K has been sort of hit or miss for several years now. There's no knowing what's actually in the tin, except that it's tobacco and can be burned. That seems to be becoming more and more common. Only the tin art endures.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
More reliable yes, albeit neither tastes very much like Red Rapparee.
That might actually be fine. As far as the Red Rapparee itself goes, mostly what I was thinking about was finding a light lat, oriental forward blend which could make an occasional minor change of pace from Skiff Mixture which is my current #1. Thought if I could find something in current production that points in a similar direction, it might allow me to stretch my supply of Skiff given that SG drops have also become erratic.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
That might actually be fine. As far as the Red Rapparee itself goes, mostly what I was thinking about was finding a light lat, oriental forward blend which could make an occasional minor change of pace from Skiff Mixture which is my current #1. Thought if I could find something in current production that points in a similar direction, it might allow me to stretch my supply of Skiff given that SG drops have also become erratic.
You can actually grab 8 oz bags of Skiff Mixture on SP right now...IF you wanted to stock up.

1687456968225.png

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Try C&D Star of The East Gold, the lat and orientals have been flipped, so it's oriental forward and light on the lat.

Reactions: stogie37

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Rattray's Jock's Mixture is available and worth considering. I can attest that it is a nice light lat blend, if you are looking for that. I really enjoy it as is, but you could pick up some bulk C&D Izmir and make it as oriental forward as you like...

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Returning to the topic of rattrays being on the occasionally hard to find side...

If anyone is currently looking, I stopped by Iwan Ries today and they just got a shipment and had most of the ratrays blends in stock (including the big 3 VAs). Not sure if they're up on the site yet, but I'm sure you could call them. Anyway, looks like I started kvetching too soon. Oh well, everyone has to have a hobby.

Reactions: Mortamyhr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My theory, based on a couple of undergraduate courses in economics taught by a lanky young guy who always drank black coffee and chain smoked cigarettes at the same time, Is that uneven demand produces uneven supply.

So pipe smokers mostly accumulate enough tobacco to sustain them indefinitely, so their ongoing purchases vary depending on the economy over all and their life situations. There is no steady demand. It fluctuates widely from month to month.

So tobacco production, distribution, and sales also is completely uneven. When blenders need sales, demand dips. Then customers experience an infusion of discretionary spending and they want different and more blends. So it is a permanent rollercoaster.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Used to be you could grab the better Rattray's at any time with no problem, (HOTW, Old Gowrie, Red Rapparee). Nowadays there is a lingering supply issue. So, when they appear I generally power-buy them. Not sure what happened. It could be that the Asian market has come on stronger in the last decade, bad product forecasting, who knows but it's a bummer either way,

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
I know the Asian market is getting big on pipe smocking. I don't know if this is the answer to your question. One artisan that I know sells a lot of pipes to the the Chinese. Apparently there is a resurgence of pipe smoking to the people in this country.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
That was exactly what I was about to say. WCC has it as of right now. As does pipesandcigars.com, marscigars.com, thecountrysquireonline.com, and blackcatcigars.com. I'd buy a few from each if you like red rapparee as they have limits. Good luck! I'm a big fan of the rapparee...

Reactions: Lucashly