PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
How do you actually go about sending the Pope any petitions or requests to canonize a person? I propose elevating Charles Rattray to saint status for creating such a beautiful thing.
rattraysoldgowrie2_zpsdcbb04d9.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have to agree that Old Gowrie is among the best blends I have ever tasted.

I like it in both aged and recently tinned incarnations.

Great balance in flavor, strength and body, which makes for a smooth smoke every time.
Now that I think about it, Gowrie's siblings are all pretty good too: Hal O'the Wynd, Brown Clunee, & Marlin Flake.

Maybe you're onto something in nominating Rattray for special honors.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Rattray was a titan. He created the greatest pipe tobacco of all time in Red Rapparee, and other greats like Old Gowrie, Black Mallory and Accountant's. Even the pipe blends that were developed after the core 9 (Rapparee, Mallory, 3 Noggins, 7 Reserve, Accountants, Professional, OG, HOTW and Clunee) were great. Marlin Flake and Highland Targe are great entries that fill in niches left in the original lineup perfectly. What's really good is he was not a one dimensional house. His Scottish mixtures were the star, but he was no slouch in Virginias. I think many houses do one or the other very well, but rarely both. Pease is king with latakia, but I've never really liked much he did without it, McClelland is great with Virginia, but offers fairly insipid Latakia blends. If I were limited to only one line, Rattray would be it.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Recently got into Rattray. Pure gold.
old Gowrie and Brown Clunnee are immense.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Old Gowrie is the only Rattray's I have ever tried, but I have read a few reviews after and I have already put a few ones down the list, that is, Hal O' the Wynd (or Will-o'-the-wisp), Marlin Flake and Brown Clunee amongst others. I don't know what they are like, but if they are as good as the aforementioned, I think it is pretty much "bye bye Mr. Dunhill."

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I've only ever had Marlin Flake from Rattray but its been my favorite tobacco over the two years I've been smoking. I'll have to give the others a try, I suppose!

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
To be perfectly honest with you, I came by it as if by chance. As a matter of fact, I was after Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls, but they are £14.23 in the UK, so when I went into the shop I hesitated to buy that one or something different. It is true I did not expect it to be that good, but after a couple of bowls, surprisingly enough, I found out it was reminiscent of the latter. I'd not be lying if I said I am very pleased with this find.

Status
Not open for further replies.