PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm sorry Peck, but glad it worked out! Your offer was more reasonable. Pipes with that provenance don't show up very often for sale, so who's to say. I'm betting you will be quite pleased with those stems.

Aug 14, 2012
Congrats Peck. I am glad one of us got it. I almost made an offer on it. Glad I did not, it would have driven your price up. I think the price you paid was quite reasonable.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have one, lonely, Comoy, and a number of the seconds. I dont know how old mine is. I picked it up on ebay as you did. It had a crack in the end of the shank with a silver band that just about slides off. The pics looked like Comoy over London, so I picked it up for 20 bucks shipped to me. Hey a Comoy that looked decent for 20 bucks, it was worth the gamble. A nice bent bulldog, and it smokes awesome! Upon inspection I moved the not so permenant band and low and behold it was a London Pride! I have read that London Pride was similar to the blue ribands except with a lighter finish, perhaps for the American Market. The finish is pretty much worn off from being handled by who ever had it before me. Smooth finished, but the grain, The grain is so pronounced that I can feel it when I run my hand accross it, not rough really. It also has that awsome cake that is rock solid and there is no way to know where the cake ends and the briar begins. Anyway, congratulations

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Peck - The thing people love most about their vintage Comoys are the stems. They are made out of vulcanite, not acrylic. They carry perhaps the most complex stem inlay logo design of any pipe. The white C is actually composed of three separate parts, one white, two black. This makes it very difficult to replace a vintage Comoy stem. As far as I know, only one extant artist has ever successfully made a three part C stem inlay logo, namely Adam Davis of smokingpipesdotcom. Also, they are very comfortable. On account that they are cut very thin. As a clencher no stem is more comfortable. Perhaps the best place to learn about Comoys, aside from Pipedia and the late Derek Greene, who was to Comoy what JC Loring was to Dunhill, is Neill Archer Roan's blog Passion4Pipes and the eBay sale writeups of Mr. Can, who does solid justice to perpetuating the interest in vintage Comoys, by his meticulous researched highly accurate ramblings. Enjoy those pipes!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Grats Peck, a definite great investment. I had a feeling you'd pull the trigger on them. Posting "Cool pipes" was such a give away :P
Craig

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Two really great pipes. If you are looking for "smoking stems" with a three part C, look at Walker Briar, I've never had one made, but he does show them as an option on his site.
Dave

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Peck, congrats on some really rare and collectible examples pf the finest Comoy's ever made. I know collectors that pay the same $$ for some vintage Barling Quaints and the Barlings are more common than those Comoy pipes. I think you did really well with those beauties amd hope you do smoke them and enjoy.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Good investment Peck, as the saying goes.....they ain't making any more of them! I'm just glad they went to someone who will actually smoke them and not just pop them in the safe.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Wow, this thread has legs!

Make sure to post some photos when they come in.

And, if you decide to smoke them, be sure to let us know what blend you choose.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Holy Smoke!!!
NY Horseman is Rudy.
Some of you may remember a few weeks ago I posted about a fellow who came to the NY Pipe club meeting named "Rudy". He is a upstate NY quarter horse trainer and had been collecting and smoking pipes in his past, but gave it up due to some family issues.
I sat next to him and he broke open a tin of Balkan Sobraine Mixture number 759. I loved it so, he just gave it to me!!!
This must be the seller of those Comoys. He brought in a whole collection of different Comoy's, but unfortunately, before reading Kash's studies on the brand, i just didn't know what I was looking at.
Holy smoke!
Peck, you purchased some fine pipes here, and from one the nicest pipe guys I have personally interacted with.
Congrats to you.

Dec 24, 2012
I don't know if I will smoke them - certainly not right away. Maybe down the road, perhaps if I get some lucite smoking stems made up. Rudy seems like a nice guy.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
These pipes have already been smoked, right? So it's not like they're unsmoked and you'll be keeping them in original condition. I wouldn't be smoking these in wind, and I'd probably only light them with matches, and I'd be meticulous about cleaning them ... but I'd be smoking these for sure.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
HI Peck,
Congratulations on your newest additions! I have a few Comoys and really like them. Great smokers! This isn't the kind of auction where one is looking for a "deal". It's an advanced collector's addition. The pipes are worth what someone is willing to pay.
Rudy bought one of my Barling catalogs earlier this year and gave me a very nice feedback comment.

Dec 24, 2012
Ok, I have been a little distracted on my mission here, but I need to figure out where to send these two comoys to have some lucite stems made for them.
I know a bunch of folks do this, but if these were your pipes who would you trust to send them to? And should I indicate to the chosen person that these are fairly unique pipes or not say a word and trust that he will be careful?

Status
Not open for further replies.