PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I just went in to look around (yeah, sure :) ) with an eye out for a small/narrow bowl pipe, something I might dedicate to virginias. The shopkeeper, Alicia, led me to a Peterson deluxe system pipe. It had been there for a while, the silver ring was a bit tarnished. But, I liked the way it looked and felt, and I had been curious to try a p-lip pipe, so I bought it.

While in the store, I met a man named Ernie who was smoking a blend and it smelled wonderful. He told me it was an aromatic english house blend, and they had 1oz left in stock. So I bought that too, along with the Balkan I mentioned in my previous comment.

Ernie led me out the back door to a porch, and we sat and smoked for a bit. It was oddly cold and windy that day (October) but a really fun experience. I logged into Google maps and put up a 5-star review for the store (and Alicia) under my actual name, Joey.

This was only my second time visiting "Louvuhl", but I kinda like your city and hope to return again someday.
Awesome to hear! Alicia is super nice and has learned a lot from us clubbers in the last couple years.
Ernest too - was always a cigar guy primarily but we've really got him on a pipe kick.

Next time you make it back say hey!

Reactions: yanoJL

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I suppose pipers could try to bring their pipes out in public, smoke something good-smelling, remind the public that pipe smoking is a thing you can do. Most people probably aren’t even aware of it anymore. Maybe you could make a new friend this way.

There are three smoking lounges in my city that I know of, and for some reason college football Saturday afternoons attract people to them, but these shops seem to deal mostly in cigars and the cigars seem to dominate them to a degree that I find unpleasant. But a pipe only situation is probably a pipe dream :)

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Due to the draconian anti-smoking laws in Oz, a sighting in the wild is extremely rare.

The last time I came across one was several years ago when I was walking through a public mall.
Truth is I didn’t actually see him - just smelt his pipe tobacco (unmistakeable)

Best thing I ever did was to gift a few pipes and a couple of tins of tobacco to a cigar mate when he expressed a desire to try a pipe again.

We have a couple of pipes together every few weeks when our schedules (spouses, that is 😄) allow.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am say where I live in Lancaster County Pennsylvania, I have not seen another pipe smoker out and about in public. It truly is a sad state knowing that there probably are several around but hidden away.
Last time I was in Lancaster I didn't even see many people out and about. Might just be the day or something or it could be that rumor about zombies running amok.

• Wow
Reactions: chopper

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I live in Japan. My neighbor disapproves so I don’t sit out at night and smoke anymore. He told me something like, “Japanese don’t smoke pipes.” That’s typical for Japanese to say when they disapprove of some behavior a “foreigner” does that they don’t understand. Later on I wished I’d pulled up Japanese Yahoo auction on my phone to show him all those Ivaarson pipes listed for the price of his car.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I live in Japan. My neighbor disapproves so I don’t sit out at night and smoke anymore. He told me something like, “Japanese don’t smoke pipes.” That’s typical for Japanese to say when they disapprove of some behavior a “foreigner” does that they don’t understand. Later on I wished I’d pulled up Japanese Yahoo auction on my phone to show him all those Ivaarson pipes listed for the price of his car.
It's a good thing that guy is not my neighbor, I would politely tell him to kiss off. :LOL:

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I'm a librarian and the city hall and fire dept. are right next to the library. On Wednesday mornings the Fire Chief was always (I'm in Michigan so it was almost year round) outside the library staff entrance enjoying his morning pipe. I could smell it as soon as I stepped out of my car and it was always a great experience. After I took up pipe smoking I stopped over to speak with him. I guess it was Wednesdays that they had a weekly meeting and that was why I saw him there. He said Borkum Riff Bourbon was his primary choice. He's since retired and I miss those Wednesday walk-ins to work.

On Wednesday mornings the Fire Chief was always (I'm in Michigan so it was almost year round) outside the library staff entrance enjoying his morning pipe.
Our Fire Chief is also a pipesmoker. Our mayor used to be, but we have a new mayor now. I have also had conversations with some of our local police officers about aging pipe tobaccos, but I never followed through to find out if they started smoking pipes or not.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with a good tobacco shop that sponsors a pipe club. Five of us manage to meet every Saturday afternoon.
In KC for a month (just got home) never did make it to the actual pipe shop but many hours are the various Outlaws including a lot of time at Outlaw south and they had a surprising selection of pipes and tobaccos. Only saw three other pipe smokers there including one of the guys that worked there.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
I just imagine some of you guys out looking for pipesmokers in the wild like...
Watching-through-binoculars GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
While killing time yesterday I went to an antiques mall and found a Bakelite 7 day pipe stand from the 1930's. It has the days of the week embossed on it. Twenty bucks later it was mine.
Exiting the mall, I walked into a guy smoking an oom paul with a tortoise stem. We had a nice conversation after we got over the shock!

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Serious question. Do people need to see others doing something to validate they're enjoyment of said thing?
I personally don't. But...
With all the legislation, taxation and social/cultural stigma associated with tobacco, seeing another smoker in the wild is, to me, a sign of life for the hobby.
Additionally, as long as there are pipe smokers, there will be craftsmen and blenders offering their products. So seeing a smoker reminds me that there is a market for pipes, tobacco and accessories still alive. And I get the idea that the things I will want going forward will still be made and available.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I personally don't. But...
With all the legislation, taxation and social/cultural stigma associated with tobacco, seeing another smoker in the wild is, to me, a sign of life for the hobby.
Additionally, as long as there are pipe smokers, there will be craftsmen and blenders offering their products. So seeing a smoker reminds me that there is a market for pipes, tobacco and accessories still alive. And I get the idea that the things I will want going forward will still be made and available.
like i keep saying lack of interest is the biggest danger to pipe smoking.

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
I did run into a fellow pipe smoker several weeks ago. I was getting into my car, and when I looked over at an adjacent truck, I noticed that he was firing-up a pipe. I walked over to his truck, introduced myself, and remarked that I thought I was the only pipe smoker in town. I had to get going, as company was arriving, shortly. Imgave him my phone number, and let him know it would be nice to get together over a bowl, or two. Time will tell if he ever calls.