giphy.0.gif

• Haha
Reactions: brian64 and Jaylotw

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Another one that was screwed over by Henley Felder
Water under the bridge. RIP
Don't you mean screwed over by Henley and Frey?

The Eagles are the band everyone loves to hate. I was a big fan as a teenager but many of their songs don't hold up so well for me now, unlike for example Jackson Browne's which have stood the test of time much better imo.

I still do like a lot of their songs though, and imo, Hotel California is one of the greatest rock songs of all time. Felder deserves a lot of credit for coming up with the basic riffs for it, but Henley's lyrics and singing and took it to a whole other level.

Just about every band has one or two leaders that at least one of the other members ends up in conflict with. I read Felder's book, and while I do have some sympathy for him, he came off as kind of a whiner. You have to consider that all of the other members were singer songwriters...Felder was neither...he was just a great guitar player. Walsh had a highly successful career before joining the Eagles and was a great songwriter...and even had a massive solo hit album and single (Life's Been Good) while he was an Eagle...he brought a lot to the band.
Felder was just very lucky to be there, imo, but his ego wouldn't let him accept a smaller piece of the pie.

Meisner brought a lot more to the band but was also a bit of a whiner. He benefited a hell of a lot from Henley and Frey's songs, and he famously refused to sing Take it to the Limit sometimes in concerts just as a way of throwing a tantrum.

Henley was to the Eagles what Waters was to Pink Floyd. They've both been accused of being assholes, but they were by far the primary reason for the massive success of both groups. Both were brilliant lyricists, and in Henley's case, one of the greatest singers in rock history imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: renfield

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Hilarious...I love all the Coen Bros films, especially Lebowski, which is in a category all its own. I remember when it came out Bridges said in an interview that he ran into an angry Glenn Frey at some gathering and got an earful because of that scene ... he said "my sphincter tightened a little" lol.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
He was a local celebrity when I was in school and a classmate married his son. Good musician and he will be missed. RIP.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know any of the Eagles history nor Meisner's biography, but rock musicians touring is a hard life that probably ages most participants prematurely. I think it is probably fun for about six months, and then it is a grind.

But if you fall out of step with the commercial music business, you have to find other work.

A lot of the groups with hits and awards have had the experience of having a stadium of people screaming their wild appreciation, and that might be worth some extension of years at the other end of life to some people.