PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Gone at 78.

An incredibly talented musician he played dozens of instruments and with many different artists.

Not a household name but everybody’s heard him. Probably most notably the lap steel work on Jackson Browne’s “Running On Empty”.

First Wayne Shorter and now David Lindley, a bad week.

There’ll be cat food sandwiches backstage...

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Indeed a week for losses, I shudder when I think of the great musicians who are now in there 80s, or fast approaching. Not many to fill there shoes.

Last edited:

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
R.I.P
I saw David Lindley for the first time at a small club in Calgary Alberta. My friends and I had to sneak in because we were only about 17yrs old. David came out in a powder blue polyester suit with gold buckles on his shoes and on his belt. On stage he had at least two dozen stringed instruments. He played everyone of those instruments in a blistering set accompanied only by a bongo player.
It was a truly awesome night of music

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This is very sad. In addition to being an extremely talented musician he was such a unique, funny and interesting character.

He was an immense presence on Jackson Browne's early albums, and is how I first came to appreciate his playing.

RIP David...you were truly one of a kind and will be missed.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I saw him play solo at McCabes in Santa Monica the day after Leonard Nimoy passed. After his opening set of tunes he addressed the audience and I shouted ‘live Long’ he and the audience simultaneously replied ‘and prosper’ he then spoke some nice words about Nimoy.
His concert that night was breathtaking. The tonal spectrum he got from his Hawaiian lap slide guitars was absolutely incredible. The deepest punchiest lows I’ve ever heard from an amplified acoustic instrument.
I love his work with Ry Cooder. He also told some funny stories about Ry.
We’re losing a lot of the top tier musicians. He went with Wayne Shorter which I suppose is fitting.