PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep... it is indeed a royal PITA to stop smoking cigs. I did so for just over two years, but when I retired I started up again. Probably due to the different life style and having so much more time on my hands. So, I somewhat recently started smoking a pipe (did so for a short period of time about 30+ years ago). I figure that if I have a pipe in my mouth at least it's about 45 minutes or so without a cigarette. However I only, at this juncture, smoke about 3 bowls starting in the very late afternoon.
Now, this brings up a question. Can you smoke a half bowl, set it aside and lite it up again later, or will it taste sour? I imagine the taste would be strongly affected. Is there any way to keep a half smoked bowl relatively fresh?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I feel fortunate I never developed the cig habit. Quitting can be a real struggle. Sometimes it gets ugly:
Florida Man Bites Neighbor's Ear Off Over a Cigarette
http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2014/01/florida_man_bites_neighbors_ea.php

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
@ cosmicfolklore
I’m not at all sure if your post was directed at me, and if not, my apology. I own and run a forum site for 5 years (not pipe related) and it irks to me to no end when someone does not bother to read an entire thread before asking a question that has already been answered within that thread. I did indeed read your post, but it did not address my question.
I have, over the years, smoked cigars and placed them out and re-lighted them again (about an hour or more +-) with somewhat of a discernible difference in taste, when first lighted, which went away after a few draws. My concern/question was; if after smoking a half bowl and then placing it aside for an hour or more would strongly distract from its taste and if there is any way to avoid, or perhaps any measures that can be taken to preserve, as it were, the un-smoked tobacco remaining in the bowl?

No worries, brother. I found it amusing, as it happens a bunch. So it seems the nature of forums. I probably shouldn't have said anything, except that it had happened several times in a row today, with some having conversations around me. I just may be commenting too much.
Yes, I find that some pipe tobaccos will change dramatically when you let them set for a bit. Some get a sickening sweet taste, especially some burlys and a couple of aros that I've tried. Some lat blends get sour. However, I think Virginias don't change much at all. I guess that it depends on how long they set and the temperature. I'm not a cigar smoker, but I've heard that you shouldn't let those go out at all.
I smoke mostly Virginias, especially if I am not sure if I will have to set it down or not.
edit: I've never bitten off an ear, but I did bite my daughters' heads off a few times back when I was going through the struggle.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Once you've made the transition completely to a pipe, I bet you'll be a much more relaxed person. Good luck, the trip is worth the journey.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There's nothing like sucking tobacco smoke into the lungs. Though painful, I think we learn to "like" the feeling, and the mainlining of nicotine from the lungs to the bloodstream is beyond compare. Pipe smoking is seemingly demure in comparison.
Viciously addictive, and deadly. But other than not so vigorously promoting COPD, pipes and cigars also take their toll. Whatever, can't/don't want to give up tobacco;).
I'm quit, for the 49th time, of cigarettes since 09/01/2013. Quitting is easy but staying quit is the rub for me.
My very best to you in your effort. The key for me is get through whatever "hot spot" yen that I still have. If I smoke one cigarette I'll probably smoke another thousand until I quit the next time. For me, not a very good plan, at all.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I never really understood how quitting cigarettes in favor of pipe smoking is a solution to a problem unless you don't inhale. Frankly I never met any former cigarette smokers who didn't inhale with a pipe, and each bowl is as much tobacco as several cigarettes. If you can't just puff on a cigarette without inhaling it, how can you do it with a pipe? This isn't a criticism btw, just a question. I never smoked cigarettes and never inhale a pipe.

I don't inhale now. Of course my daughters accuse me of it. If I do it's not conscious at all, as sometimes when I put the pipe down and start talking smoke continues to come from my nostrils and mouth. But, I've seen this of people who have only smoked pipes too. Maybe we intake smoke without knowing it. I don't know, and honestly don't give a fig's nub. I enjoy the pipe, and everyone's opinion can kiss my ash :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.