PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabertooth

Lurker
May 30, 2012
They say after day three its just mental. When I finally quit, the first few days were the hell. After learning it takes three days for em to be out of system, made the rest of the week easier +. Its been a few months, but I sometimes feel like having one when I see it in TV ect. The second hand smoke IRL turns me off.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Starting to cut back on cigs by not carrying a lighter on me during the day. I have one when I wake up and a couple when I get home. Usually smoke a pack per day and this has allowed me to let a pack last 3 days.

Hopefully drop the nails soon! But if I don't I won't dwell on it too much because I can always try again and each time it gets easier. With that being said though, I still intend to try my hardest to quit!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Yesterday I substituted a few more cigs with snuff. It worked better than expected. I'm planning on this being my last day of cigs since my vacation starts tomorrow.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Good luck! When I weaned off the nails I started with electronic cigs as a supplement, then moved to RYO with extra nic from the electronic ( gum never worked, I always managed to OD on it....patches were a PITA ), started slowly with the pipe, gradually replacing "let's go burn one" with "let's go enjoy a bowl" until I managed to smoke just the pipe. About 6 months into it i ran out of tobacco one day and decided to bum a smoke off a neighbor, took two drags off it and almost puked; that was last September.

On a typical day I smoke a bowl for breakfast with coffee, another on the 45 minute ride to work ( in the summer I work as a tour guide ), another on the way home, and one before I retire for the evening. These are not huge, like a "group 4 bowl". A 50 g tin usually lasts about a week, week-and-a-half.....but then I don't usually smoke the same thing every day, I try to keep in my daily routine an English mixture ( breakfast ),VA/VAPer flakes ( during the day ) and an aro ( the last smoke of the day ).

I cannot speak for snuff as I have never experimented with that.

gahboo

Lurker
May 20, 2012
I was a pack and a half smoker for years. I was also a 2 can a day Copenhagen snuff user (simultaneously with cigs) - so I was a very serious nicotine addict. Five years ago, I successfully quit both snuff and cigs using Chantix and did not cheat once in that time. It worked for me. I found the snuff FAR more difficult to give up than the cigs. It was also brutal breaking the social habit for me. It took a solid six months for the cravings to totally subside even though I quit Chantix after a month.
I was fearful (terrified) of tobacco for those five years, but about 6 months ago, I smoked a cigar and noticed it did not kick in the nicotine craving again. I then took up pipe smoking and at least for me, it does not cause an addictive reaction regardless of the tobacco I smoke. I never inhale. I find that the mentality and process of smoking cigs and pipe are so different that the pipe does not reinforce the cigs habit. To me cigs are an unconscious sort of thing. Pipe grabs your attention in a much different way.
So, to me, quitting cigs, then smoking the pipe worked out fine. I don't know if trying to do both at the same time would be as easy. I can also tell you that if you take the Chantix route, it will just kill your desire for tobacco all together. So, if you do that, it will probably make you lose interest in the pipe as well for a time.
Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.