Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone's going to reveal the secrets to these blasts. We can guess, but...

Frank, I hear they hold up very well. Walt used to be on this forum regularly. He always added a touch of class to a debate.
I waited until Walt practically stopped making handmade pipe to get serious about looking for one. Now, I think he is busy with his Cardinal line of pipes.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
...it apparently holds up very well...
Durability and trapping grime are separate things.
The finish is indeed "tougher" than it looks. Years ago, Walt even made a video where he stabbed and scratched at a stummel with a door key to demonstrate the point.
Any refurbisher who's been at it awhile has seen how persistently tar-grime-yuck-stuff gets deeply trapped in "ordinary" gentle blasts, and knows it is impossible to remove without some degree of refinishing. If a pipe's entire surface consisted of tiny, deep, parallel-sided SLOTS, removing the crud would be literally impossible. Even re-soda blasting (or whatever the process is) would only drive it in deeper.
Having said that, it's entirely possible that a fully developed TGYS "patina" on one of those acid-etched-looking finishes is gorgeous. Like a meer coloring, or something. But that's a different question still.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Apparently, Chris Askwith has figured out the rustication method Roger Wallenstein and Steffen Mueller are doing to briar.

here is a photo of Mr. Askwith's "weathered" rustication.

1284.jpg

images

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Loved reading all the speculative comments regarding this blasted "suede" finish.
georged...

suggested that I was an uncouth slob for having less than fastidious smoking habits. I laughed. Georged is right. A pipe to me is an object of utility, a hunk of wood that has two intersecting holes....one wide, one thin.... drilled into it. One hole is packed and the other, sucked. Anything else surrounding those holes is just eye-candy. I can and do admire beautifully made briar pipes, and such, and treat briar wood with the proper respect that its due. I make no judgements regarding who buys and owns whatever kind of pipe they want. It's all subjective, anyway. A cheap refurbished estate pipe and a $5,000 Eltang, would give me the same smoking enjoyment. Then again, maybe not. I'd be very reluctant to smoke the Eltang....the other, not so much.
I can certainly understand the attraction, and eye-appeal of a different, and novel surface treatment, staining technique, carving, blasting, rustication, or whatever. But this shredded wheat look is not something I would seek out. I'd be afraid of ruining the carefully treated surface. Briar is very brashy. Those super-thin walls generated by the specialized blasting would be way too delicate for a brute like me. But hey, to each his own.
Durability? I've read that this suede finish is more durable than it looks. I'd like to see a few of these pipes, well used, after 5-10 years of frequent smoking. I am not convinced that these pipes will remain pristine without taking extraordinary precautions (georged noted a few) to prevent dirt, residues, waxes, oils, etc, from being trapped in all the tiny surface convolutions, not to mention the accidental denting and scratching problems. But then, I also don't own one of these beauties, so I'm probably wrong... and I'm definitely no stranger when it comes to being wrong.
Frank

NYC

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Wondering why you're going on and on about:

1.) The above pipes' finish, and

2.) Utility vs. Aesthetics of pipes.
I ain't no genius, but even I'll take a stab at this one. :lol:
Since PM.com is a discussion board, Imma guess he's discussin' those things. You know, with words n' stuff. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
in re. trapping grime:

It could happen that when grime fills-in all the voids, it would look even better.
(As an aside, the sort of gent who would purchase a pipe like these isn't likely to use it as a loofah.)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The driftwood and Askwiths and Connoys are all cool looking to my eye. I like different and guessing as to how they are made is what we do here. If I figure it out, I am going to contact the makers and black mail them for free pipes. That's just how I roll.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK.
The depth is too uniform to have been blasted, and there are NO indications of directionality. Zero. None.
In other words, it is a chemical process.
If I wanted to replicate it, I'd start with the obvious: Seal the mortise and bowl of a shaped and drilled stummel with tapered neoprene "corks", submerge it a dilution of sodium hydroxide, then remove and pressure rinse with water.
(Sodium hydroxide is a major step in paper manufacture---it releases wood fibers from the matrix of lignin which surrounds them by dissolving the lignin and leaving the fibers---the cellulose---intact.)
In this case, it would both bleach the stummel to near-white and leave holes in it.
Dialing in the solution strength and immersion time would just be a matter of trial and error, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.