Questionable Tool Usage? Or am I Just a Loon?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
I have a drawer full of (well.. actually six) tampers and what do I use most? The flat end of a Florida Lottery golf pencil.
UNV24264FL_1_1.JPG

Even when I'm carrying one of the "real tampers", I end up using the lotto pencil most frequently. I should note that the wood and graphite of the pencil have yet to bestow any bizzaro flavors to my smoke. I dunno.. Maybe I truly am insane. :crazy:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Hey, ain't nothin wrong with that! I use whatever I can get my hands on! I try to always have a tamper or two on me, but sometimes I forget and have to improvise.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'll use anything that's handy, but I'm never far from my home made collection of tampers, cut from three inch lengths from stock half inch dowels picked up at the hardware store. It's a hardwood like oak or maple, and they age magnificently through use, developing a fine patina of wear over time. I knew a piper once that used his finger protected in a gold pinky thimble.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I do use a tamper for and even burn and cake build up. But I'll admit that most times after the char light, I just hit is with my index finger.
Craig

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I took advantage of the pipes and cigars promotion the other week an bought the mitchell thomas pipe knife for $5. Best tool I've ever owned. The pick is nice and long, tamper small enough to get into my most heavily caked pipes, and the knife reams very well. Also has a nice brushed stainless look. The knife is sharp enough to slice plugs. I find a tamper works best on stuffed flakes. Other than that, my pinky finger.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have a shop full of domestic and exotic wood and tools. I have participated in all the tamper exchanges in the last 4 years. I have between 100-200 tampers ready for the next Chicago Pipe Show. I have never been without a tamper when I need it.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.