PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwmcadoo

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
I hope someone can help. I have a pipe, bent with a top flare like a Sherlock Holmes. It is smooth and fairly large with an army stem. There are no defects or fills and the grain is a beautiful birdseye.There is a silver band with a sharp square edge.
The real question is that the only marking is the name, "Erica" in script. No other name and no number or country of origin. I know Savinelli has an Erica line but it is in block letters and the "Erica" does not stand alone. I also cannot find anything like this in the Savenelli line and they also include the word, "flamme" for the flame grain.
Thanks for your help.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
If it is a system pipe like Peterson it could be Peterson second "ERICA".

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Erica" may also refer to Erica Arborea, the Latin name for the heath tree from which briar is harvested. So it may be nothing more than a fancy way of saying "Briar."
Bob

hwmcadoo

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Thanks. I have pics but cannot gent them into this message after multiple attempts. The botanical name for briar seems likely as I have never seen a big name pipe that didn't splash their name on it. Briar in script is all that is there even after a magnification examination. Others that use the "Erica" name don't put it in script.

hwmcadoo

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Here is a picture of the word Erica.
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/10847/p1000122-149x132.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.