PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
Excuse my ignorance. Some years ago a fellow piper gave me a tin of Virginia that was aged and thinly sliced from England. You had to rub it to smoke it. I don’t know what it’s called or how to find it to order. If is/was a most enjoyable smoke. Can someone tell me what it’s called and guide me to where I might find it?

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
The tobacco smelled somewhat fermented. The tin was a little smaller than a tuna fish can, more squat. Flavor was quite robust. The first time I inhaled it I got dizzy.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Start looking on some of the larger online retailers. They advertise in the banners seen around the forum. There are plenty of Virginia flakes with at least nominally an English origin.

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
Start looking on some of the larger online retailers. They advertise in the banners seen around the forum. There are plenty of Virginia flakes with at least nominally an English origin.
I’ve ordered Virginia flake but it was already processed (rubbed). I want to know what it is called when it in thin sheets in the tin

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’ve ordered Virginia flake but it was already processed (rubbed). I want to know what it is called when it in thin sheets in the tin
Often they’re called “flakes” and what you’re describing is often called “rubbed flakes” (I think).

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Search “flake” at tobaccopipes.com. They’re helpful because they often have a photo of the actual tobacco right beside the tin.

I did the search and was going to paste the URL but it’s just a generic one:

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Excuse my ignorance. Some years ago a fellow piper gave me a tin of Virginia that was aged and thinly sliced from England. You had to rub it to smoke it. I don’t know what it’s called or how to find it to order. If is/was a most enjoyable smoke. Can someone tell me what it’s called and guide me to where I might find it?
Do either of these tins look familiar?...

003-059-0007.5392.jpg
003-059-0008.3715.jpg