PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Ahoy,
Apologies if I'm on the wrong forum. New here and new to pipes as well. I've been googling like mad trying to find a kind of list of ANYTHING that is an OTC pipe tobacco and a list of the other kind (whatever its name is –shop blends? bulk? what?) but came up with unhelpful hits.
Reading on pipes and tobacco and whatnot online, it seems that OTCs are to be avoided. Heh, even when I was at the tobacconist buying my first smoking implement and paraphernalia and tobacco, a pipe smoker who was in the shop suggested I avoided 'all that bagged/packed crap on that shelf'. He was stocking up and bought, as far as I could see, nothing but bulk shop blends.
I walked out with a bulk shop blend as well. Now, I'm wondering what I should buy and what I should run like heck away from. I read that OTCs have additives and whatnot (and isn't smoking a pipe healthier because we don't get all the additives they put in the cigarettes?), or that they're more likely to give one tongue bite.
I recently ordered two tins of navy flake: Samuel Gawith's and Mac Baren's. Are these two OTCs?
Is there anywhere a compiled list of OTCs? Are all tinned tobaccos (Dunhill, SG, MacBaren, &c.) OTCs?
What's the good, what's the bad, and what's the hideous?
Thanks in advance!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
OTC's refer to what some may call codger blends, and shouldn't be avoided at all. Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and a few others are great starter blends. I would avoid aromatics like Captain Black until you have more experience smoking a pipe, but those can be good too once you've learned proper smoking techniques. Tinned tobaccos tend not to be OTCs, and pipe smoking is not neccesarily healthier, its just most pipe smokers don't inhale like is done with cigarettes. There are health concerns with any tobacco product.
What's the good, what's the bad, and what's the hideous?
As with anything, that's all according to personal taste. One man's favorite is not always another. Exploring is the fun part.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Is there anywhere a compiled list of OTCs? Are all tinned tobaccos (Dunhill, SG, MacBaren, &c.) OTCs?
Yes, all tinned tobaccos (Dunhill, SG, etc.) are considered OTCs, in that you don't have to have a prescription to purchase them.
Useless term.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Though some folks disparage OTC blends, Americans go crazy for some of the OTC blends on sale here in England. Condor (ready rubbed and flake), St. Bruno, Mellow Virginia, Erinmore Flake to name but a few.
Because a blend is sold over the counter it does not necessarily follow that it is of inferior quality.
Regards,
Jay.

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
I honestly wouldn't concern myself too much with the OTC designation. Some of them are fantastic! There's quite a few great resources on both this site and in general in regards to different pipe tobaccos. In the categories section of the site you'll find the ASk G.L. Pease articels, Out of the Ashes and Tobacco Reviews section. I've always referred to a site called tobaccoreviews.com as it contains so many different brands and blends of tobaccos with accompanying user reviews. Like others have said, smoke what YOU like. The only way to find out if you like it is to try it....

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
All I smoke is an otc blend. That's what a lot of men back in the day used to smoke too. Some easily, taste good, easy to find, inexpensive, but yet high quality.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Certain blends can be considered OTC blends. Mainly those that are easily acquired from grocery and drug stores. That doesn't mean they aren't good and you may very well like them.
Here are a few off the top of my head:

Carter Hall

Prince Albert

Sir Walter Raleigh

Paladin

Captain Black

I've heard if its tinned its NOT an OTC but I'm fairly new at this still. Pouched tobacco is considered more like an OTC by some.
One thing you will learn is there are several differences of opinion especially when it comes to the quality of tobacco. Read them all and take your own stance. After all is said and done what really matters is what YOU like.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
OCt's are great to smoke, good enough that some of our finest blenders have been involved in making blends that are either revivals of discontinued blends, or improved versions of some of the standards. Chatham Manor is a favorite of mine and it's based on Carter Hall. Check out the Hearth & Home Midtown series. For my money, one of the best blends made by anybody, anywhere, at any price, is Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.
So give OTC's a try. People who disparage an entire genre of tobaccos are simply ignorant, and their advice is best ignored.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
^^^^Have an equal love for CH and CM.

As to tinned, Flying Dutchman and a few others were Drugstore Blends. So there are exceptions.
I have a love for all different kinds and an affection for Drugstore Blends because dad and his friends were one brand smokers and I looked up to them.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
lots of times I have been smoking pouched tobacco blends which were superior to those sold in tins, U.S OTC blends offer very good value when their average price is taken into consideration,the major part of the UK OTC's are simply divine,unless the price which is not significatly cheaper of those sold in tins

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 on sable's comments on Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which is burley, Virginia, and flavoring with three liqueurs. Many over-the-counter blends are worth a try and a number are excellent by any standards, subject to your personal tastes of course. The beauty is, most OTC's are available in pouches to sample, and then if you really like them, are available in 12, 14, or 16 ounce tubs. But I'd wait until you have been smoking for a few years before buying a tub or similar quantity of a bulk blend, since your tastes will change, even when you start out loving a blend. But OTC's can be fine, or excellent. Whoever told you otherwise is not too knowledgeable nor dependable on the subject.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Thanks for the replies, mates.
Looks like there are OTCs and then there are OTCs. I had the (mis)conception that OTCs were your average cheap, nasty, cardboard-filled tobacco that must be avoided, and thus stuff from reputable brands like MacBaren, Dunhill, et al, was not in the OTC category. Being new to all this piping world I was trying to avoid the bad, kind of like not going for the cheap gin which might contain too much methanol and leave you blind.
So, basically, you have OTCs and local blends, is that it as far as kinds of pipe tobacco go?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Import, domestic, flakes, plugs, cakes, coins, twists, ribbon, shag, rough........lots of diversity.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So, basically, you have OTCs and local blends, is that it as far as kinds of pipe tobacco go?
With well over 6,000 blends on the market there is a LOT of diversity. Besides the various forms of tobacco that Embers noted, flakes, plugs, ribbon, etc, there are a number of blend types:
Straight Virginia, Virginia/Perique, Virginia/Burley, Virginia/Perique/Burley, Burley based, English, Balkan/Oriental, Aromatics, Cavendish Based, Latakia based, etc. And in each of these basic genres there is a wide variety of flavor profiles, whether packaged as an OTC, a proprietary tobacconist's blend, or a commercial blend in tins and/or in bulk.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
^^ I am finding that out with some sent to me. I totally underestimated it because I last smoked it forty years ago

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
"OTCs" is a pretty vague term, that usually refers to blends that are available in shops other than specialty tobacconists.

The problem is - that has varied over the years, and still varies by country. I tend not to use it, myself - I am more apt to use terms like "codger burleys", which is a little narrower. That refers to the American, burley forward blends that are pretty widely available - Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Half and Half, Velvet, and so on.

They aren't complex or sophisticated. The leaf used may not be as high quality as the leaf used in the premium blends. But they are decent, simple smokes, that can be loaded up and smoked all day. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.