PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I smoked my way through half a tin of Erinmore last year that I purchased at Edwards Cigar in Tampa and then gifted to someone on here the rest of the fruity concoction. The addition of Gawith Broken Flake #7 is actually a trick that @simong imparted to me and since I had smoked the original in turned out to be spot on the money. The STC stuff tastes like fruity chewing gum although the tin note is radically different since I remember large dollops of black Cavendish and a smell that you could only dream about in pouches of the original circa 1980/81. Everything changes I suppose!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Erin-No-More!
Like condor says ‘everything changes’ in the end. :confused:

The biggest thing I remember about Erinmore is how different the mixture was compared to the flake. Even when Murray’s were making it, I didn’t like it & nobody I knew liked it either, it was a very poor smoke.
The flake was lovely, tasty & strong. Not quite as strong as the older St. Bruno & Condor, but it wasn’t far behind.

For a better idea of what it was like back in the ‘good old days’ check this advert out…..in ‘Aroma Vision’.;)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Along with Dunhill EMP, and Royal Yacht, Erinmore in the early 80s was one of the first blends I started out with.

Back then it was quite amazing. I can still remember the very distinct fruity pineapple tin note and flavor.

It is truly why Murray is listed in my signature. I believe for those that experienced it back then at it’s height, it was one of the great classics! ❤️

I’ll never forget it! 👍

Reactions: JOHN72

rotate

Lurker
Apr 22, 2018
I first tried Erinmore Flake in the 1960’s and hated it but by the 1980’s it had become my go to tobacco no matter where I was in the world with my job as it could be found in most places and I’d become accustomed to and had then enjoyed its Belfast Bite. The transition from Belfast manufacture by John Murray Sons to first Orlik and then STG was not an easy one for the EF tobacco aficionado although that was cushioned for a little while as tobacco of Belfast manufacture was being sold under the Orlik name and I’ll readily admit that I was extremely disappointed by Orlik‘s and then STG’s first offerings of EF minus the Bite, however we adjust our tastes accordingly and purchase accessibility kept me plugging away at EF until I had grown used to its new iteration and eventually satisfied with its smoking qualities.