PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I think it's shady. I list all repairs made to a pipe if I sell them. Minus the basics. Light tooth chatter, stem deoxidizing, etc. If those pipes are re-sold, that's another story.
If your seller is the repairman than the pipe mud was knowingly used to cover a crack and should've been disclosed.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'm on the fence on this one......... Look a new pipe over real good, if your happy with it..... all is good.

To smoke it for a year, then cry foul??.... I don't know.
Seems to me like buying a used car. Drive it for a year, then find out it has a patched exhaust... is it the seller's fault?
I do believe a seller should disclose the repair information- no question. But there should be some sort of time limit to claims of dispute. What if you hadn't reamed that pipe for 10 years?........ still go after the seller?.... I don't know, just asking.............

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I've only been pipe smoking for a couple of years and it was the first time that I had a pipe ghost on me. At the time I bought the pipe I just did a basic cleaning and started smoking it. Now when I buy a estate pipe I do a salt/everclear treatment and ream it all the way back. So that's what I did with this pipe when it ghosted on me. Also I had no intention of returning it or contacting the seller, as it has been over a year. I was just curious as to the question of whether a pipe mud repair was something that should have been disclosed. It still is one of my favorite pipes and I plan on smoking it for as long as it lasts.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I think selling a pipe is the same as selling a car or house. Everything should be disclosed, especially from the repair standpoint. It all depends on what side of the fence a seller stands on. Are they trying to only make money or are they concerned about getting a buyer a good pipe at a fair price? Also, it's been said above, did they even know about the repair? So, there are honest used car salesmen out there, honest pipe peddlers and honest people. There's also the other side of the coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.