Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
:(You can not have an upper hand with "Mother Nature".
I was around 13 years old and had some dental work. Now, decades later, I still remember how frustrated was a dental doc: "What's up with you kid, why you have so much saliva? I can't work...".
I feel his pain now. I am smoking my pipe, everything is great, except: I have a constant salivation.
For couple years I had a hope that one day it will stop. Nope.
I guess, I have to accept it:(. I am just curious, if I am unlucky one, or there are some brethren that struggle with it?

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
If you have this issue, does something was helpful ?
So far, I didn't find anything that works for me. The only difference, some tobacco will be less stimulating in saliva production, that's it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
My dad told me a story of his friend when he was a teenager. He said his bedroom was lined with glass Coke bottles filled with spit. “He smoked a pipe, and smoking a pipe makes you salivate, so he would just spit in the empty bottles.”

It doesn’t happen to me (to that extent, anyway), thankfully, but it sounds similar to your issue haha.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
This happens only when I smoke while mowing the yard or clenching while walking. When I smoke sitting down, I usually have a drink, water or something, to help wash it down so I don't notice it. Do you drink anything while smoking?

And I agree that some tobacco causes it more than others.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
Thank you folks for your thoughts.
Compare with this poor fellow, holding bottles filled with spit in his bedroom, I have no problems at all. I smoke only outside, some extra watering around the designated bush will help fighting CA drought.
Usually I keep a glass of water while smoking to refresh my palate, but somehow never drink, it's time to get some tea?
Most mysterious part its "salivation" and "salvation", may be there is something?
Life is good, keep puffing:sher:

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I was never much of a drooler, at least I like to think I'm not .... But when I was younger and new to pipe smoking, I would salivate more than normal while clenching a pipe. But nowadays not so much, if at all.....What changed?...I dont really know. But I do know that over time I've learned to slow down and clench more naturally....Clenching a pipe has become second nature and I don't even think about it. I think when clenching a pipe becomes an almost involuntary reaction you don't salivate nearly as much.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
100% clenching stimulates it.
When I picked up smoking in 2015, I almost immediately started lurking on a forum. I think , I learned almost everything about smoking from this forum. One day, I decided to clench a pipe, to be a proper piper, we do have few forum discussions about clenching. Effect was amazing, lol, probably it doubled my saliva production! So, I almost always hold my pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.