PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
Hi everyone.
I have heard people using metal polish to polish their pipe stem.

Isn't most of the metal polish poison?
I want to fine some polish that can work with a dremel rotary.

Can you guys recommend me one that I can find in auto store or Walmart?

I know flitz is good but I cannot find it in my local auto store....
Also, can the Turtle Wax Carnauba Cleaner Wax Paste use for polishing the pipe bowl?

Or is there any better choice that I can find in local store?
Thanks

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Well for stems and pipes I use brown tripoli and white diamond polishing compound but I have used rouge before with good results; though it's quicker with the tripoli and diamond. I got that from princess auto. You can even find a set of buffing wheels with a deal for mounting them in your drill.
As far as turtle wax I would say no. You might be able to but I personally wouldn't (and didn't) chance it. I bought a 4 oz. block of carnuba from an ebay seller. I've finished a good many pipes with it and haven't even made it through a half inch of the block. Well worth the money and you could probably go with a 2 oz. block and get a good amount of polishing out of it.
I'm also sure (and have heard) that Halcyon and Paragon are good products but as I understand it they're only good if you've already got a nice polish on your stems and such.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I'll add what Pipe Artisan Bob Hayes told me. Use only Carnauba Bar Wax as it contains no Petroleum Products. Do not use any wax that contains any Petroleum Products unless you like the taste of Petroleum in your briar pipes!
Here is the link I use to order my Carnauba Bar Wax: http://ww4.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm?userid=6048580&product=Carnauba+Wax+Bar%20&price=5.50

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mikemacrdlnds

Dec 21, 2011
If your stems are dull, use Micro-Mesh pads, 2000 and up. For stems that need a deep clean and polish, I use Walker Briar Works Pipe Stem Deoxidizer/Cleaner; then a polish with Micro-Mesh pads. A buffer is great, but you don't have to have one for general maintenance. And as nefisher says, bees wax lisp gloss does a good job of keeping you stems looking good. I would stay away from any petroleum based wax products.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Be careful with that Dremel,especially when doing stems. They spin very fast and require a light touch,or you may end up melting your stem.

I second the Paragon and Halcyon II.Easy to apply and buff by hand. Leaves no tastes behind and gives a nice shine.A small jar of each will do hundreds of pipes if used correctly-meaning sparingly. They are not meant for removing oxidation but will help to prevent it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I just got a pipe stem kit from Walker Briar Works. The polish and carnauba wax worked really well on a couple of my junkier stems, and they shone like glass when done. So far, the stems I fixed with the stuff are holding their shine well, and no adverse tastes. I cleaned a Brigham stem, a couple of Edwards stems, and a Dr. Grabow stem, all vulcanite, of course. Worth a try, but a little pricey. So far I think it's worth the money.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with ejames, be darn careful with that dremel, it is too fast and pads too small, it's very hard not to make marks/gouges.
For my pipe stems, I do use an automotive product for a final polish or to keep them shiny (most of mine are vulcanite). Meguiars, Mothers, Novus or other plastic polish products are readily available at any autoparts store. I apply with a bench mounted buffing motor (1750 rpm) on a 6" pad. Acrylic stems will glean and stay that way. Vulcanite will slowly oxidize with time and use, but I think the polish helps keep the process at bay. I also use Obsidian stem oil occasionally as a touch up.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Kennyjo,

I've been cleaning up pipes and selling them for about a year now. I haven't yet purchased a buffing machine, but I've got my eye on one. For about 6 months, I would mix together a paste of Barkeepers Friend and water. When combined with a crap-ton of cotton towels and elbow grease, this gave me much better results than the Walker Kit or a Magic Eraser or any of that stuff.
But the BEST method I've found for stems (if you don't have a buffer) is to 1) scrape off the really oxidized stuff w/ light strokes from a sharp knife. 2) use 350 grit sandpaper to completely buff the stem 3) use micro-mesh pads that start at 1500 and go to 12,000. 4) finish with that Stem Oil you see advertised everywhere.
Hope this helps.

-Mattia

marks59

Lurker
Mar 5, 2015
Hi
Just finished my first pipe and it came out great. The only issue is that I think I added too much polish and there is a somewhat dull shine. How can I fix the finish to be shiny?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I also use the Walker pipe stem kit. The stem cleaner/deoxidizer does a fine job for light cleaning.

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
Sorry for n00bish question but how does one use the carnauba bar? Can it be applied by hand or is it something that needs to be put on a buffing machine?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A bar of carnuba is most easily and effectively applied via a buffing wheel. There are some waxes designed to be applied by hand.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'd ask the manufacturer what is in the compound. Why spend the money, a bit of toothpaste, a damp finger and you are good to go. If you are cleaning a thoroughly screwed up (heavily oxidized) bit, you'll need some compound, a slow wheel or a bunch of energy doing it by hand. Lot's of good suggestions in the above posts and some cautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.