SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 7, 2016
I do remember hearing Per Jensen talk about new European regs coming into play next year. Should I be buying my lifetime supply in 2023?
You are starting late. While the parts of the European Tobacco Products Directive applicable to pipe tobacco don't take effect until 2024, the leading leaf sources (big operators like Universal Leaf,Pyxus. BAT, etc.) are already restructuring supplies of leaf to be compliant with track and trace. This translates to more standardization and less variety, among other things.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You are starting late. While the parts of the European Tobacco Products Directive applicable to pipe tobacco don't take effect until 2024, the leading leaf sources (big operators like Universal Leaf,Pyxus. BAT, etc.) are already restructuring supplies of leaf to be compliant with track and trace. This translates to more standardization and less variety, among other things.
OTOH, the major pipe tobacco blenders have existing stock warehoused that will last years. To my knowledge, none of them is selling leaf fresh from the suppliers. So it seems like it would be years before the market reflects any significant changes in availability, cost increases, etc.

Reactions: gervais
Oct 7, 2016
OTOH, the major pipe tobacco blenders have existing stock warehoused that will last years. To my knowledge, none of them is selling leaf fresh from the suppliers. So it seems like it would be years before the market reflects any significant changes in availability, cost increases, etc.
Which manufacturers have multi year stocks of leaf? Which varieties? Can it be properly accounted for, as will be demanded by track and trace regulations?

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
If you really like a blend, stock up on it because it might either become less available, more expensive, be discontinued, or be changed with different component tobaccos that significantly alter the flavor. That's what's happening and there's no reason to believe that's going to change.
I gotta go with your reasoning ...

Reactions: sablebrush52