PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
What is the best way to shine briar, i.e. wax or oil, hand rubbed or buffing wheel etc. I’m getting conflicting information from furniture people and thought I’d ask specifically for pipe people experience. Thanks

Reactions: kcghost

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
I've had that one for nearly 9 years and is just as shiny as new. Jeweler's cloths are just a wipe down with no cleanup.
One of my recently purchased estates had paint on it. The only thing that worked to take it off was alcohol which also dulled the finish. I’m unsure which process to use to restore the finish to its original shine.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
How much do you want it to shine?

The highest gloss probably is a hard poly or varnish finish. The disadvantage of that (besides an assault on tradition) is a hard glossy finish shows every ding and scratch, and cannot be touched up.

Using wax on polished briar can also result in a high gloss, but one that is more forgiving of tiny dings and dents. It also does not last, and must be renewed often, but wax is cheap.

I try and keep an obsessive number of pipes shining.

I do have beeswax, and use it on my glossiest pipes.

But by far and away the easiest, quickest, and I think most attractive glow on briar is obtained from:

Using 4/0 grade steel wool, paper towels, and 190 proof Everclear to remove all little dings and dirt.

Then just as little grapeseed oil as I can apply using a paper towel.

A $10 12 ounce bottle of grapeseed oil will likely last a lifetime.

A bag of 4/0 steel wool costs $6 and lasts me a year.

Every pipe I show off here, gets a grapeseed oil glow. It’s not a shine.

If you want, you can shine it up with wax.

F2EB78FF-8C6A-4E7E-8E8A-051176D618C9.jpeg

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I used Renaissance and was thrilled with the results. Use a little bit all over the pipe and set it aside to dry to a whitish paste then rub it in with your hands and wipe with a soft cloth. It comes out like highly polished museum quality finish. The jeweler's cloth is excellent for maintenance on pipes whose finish hasn't been damaged by alcohol or acetone.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
It’s far easier to keep one shiny than it is to make one shiny again. I keep my pipes shined with a Decatur pipe cloth. But shining a dull pipe starts with getting it clean, an old toothbrush with a drop of dawn dish soap and some water will clean up a dirty pipe pretty well. A drop of mineral oil and good buffing with a soft cloth will go a long way to shining up an old pipe once it’s clean. You can also use any number of wax’s, renaissance, bees wax, paragon, etc. if you’re not comfortable with a buffing wheel practice on junk pipes first, you can over buff or pitch one across the room real quick if you don’t know what your doing. These two were just cleaned up and hand buffed with mineral oil. They were both pretty crusty.image.jpg

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
You can use a buffer with carnauba, hand buff with Renaissance wax, or use a jeweler's cloth. I use a jeweler's cloth.

View attachment 190155
I looked at jeweler's cloths on Amazon but can't determine what substance they have on them. They seem to have a cleanser or fine grit to remove tarnish from metal, like a silver polishing cloth. Do you happen to know what they have on them? Do they wax as well as clean and polish?