PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Well I think I found the one for me in Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and I think I'll keep her.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
One of my favorite go-to smokes, particularly in an Oom Paul pipe while doing chores. A tasty smoke that does not require too much attention in order to enjoy, especially the licorice & molasses toppings.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
One of my favorites, you should try Peter Heinrichs' Dark Strong Flake as well. Many people say they are the same, but I find them a little different, the PH-DSF has a little more of the molasses flavor to me, either way you should try it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dark fired has really come into its own both as a base tobacco and as a condiment for various blends. It is a good change-up from the overuse (to my mind) of Latakia and Perique, which can be like putting ketchup on everything.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just had my first tin of Orlik DSK open and experimented, somehow I do find there is a slight similarity in there with OGS-perhaps same virgias in both blend were used?in summ,this OSDK is very nice tobacco and I do prefer this over Mc Barens HH Dark fireds offering, yes those Barens are very classy and quality tobaccos as well, but again, for me ,there is too much of nic in there, but I'm most brand new to pipes,

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Man, I try to like this one, I really do but there is just something about it that doesn't work for me. I also have P.H. Dark Strong.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Well I think I found the one for me in Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and I think I'll keep her.
You say that now but be careful of her aging. I had a Latakia lady that was great for the first five years then she mellowed out. Then there was this Virginia gal that kept getting better and better even after 20 years. Some say that her sisters are great even after 30 years. Don't get me wrong. Stay with the Dark Strong Kentucky but be careful putting that ring on just one young spinster that stole your heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.