PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Even though I know that you all are smarter than the average "Joe", this video might be an eye-opener for some (especially for those who use Facebook). If you have children or grandchildren, this might be a good awareness video.
"Dave is an extremely gifted clairvoyant who finds out specific financial information. This video reveals the magic behind the magic, making people aware of the fact that their entire life can be found online. And by doing so urging everybody to be vigilant."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7pYHN9iC9I&list=FLOHCcmb4bfA8b06cGw2rn3Q&index=1&feature=plpp_video

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Thats a pretty neat video, thanks for sharing. Makes me glad I never got into facebook and all that haha.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I've thought of showing this to my classes. But, it's probably to late for most. "What happens on the internet, stays on the internet...forever."

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I only put what I want on FB that I want out there, can hackers get into my bank account, sure but there not much in there, my ex wife already id scammed me and it took a few years to finally clear all of her BS... others put it all, in that case they get whats coming to them, the younger generation-under 20 will really not know how this impacts them until it's too late

ovidsmuse

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Grifters used to get this info from church registries, clubs, neighbors etc. Nothing has really changed, it's just digital now, but the confidence tricks are still the same.
Once my boss asked me to give a presentation on our security, and I told the rest of the company that all the systems were as secure as they could reasonably be, but there was a flaw we couldn't fix. I asked if anyone knew what it was, and this young kid who did a pretty menial task for us raised his hand. He asked "Is it us?", and he was right. In the business we call this "social engineering", and it's the easiest and usually most successful way to hack anything, not just computers. ( I moved him over to my team the next day, he learned to be a pretty good admin quickly.)

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Most people leave their information wide open for everyone in the world to see... There are ways around that believe it or not. Now I know this doesn't take care of everything, but taking these steps shuts down a lot of information sharing. You should configure your facebook so only your approved friends can see what you put on there.

Also, I scan my facebook feeds with Norton 360 periodically.
http://facecrooks.com/Internet-Safety-Privacy/how-to-lockdown-your-facebook-account-for-maximum-privacy-and-security.html

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I feel bad for the kids who had facebook their entire life. Seriously, do you remember how dumb you were at 16, 17 years old ??? Now every stupid thing you said and did is logged on Facebook forever. **shudder**

Status
Not open for further replies.