PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've not experienced any pinhole leak issues with the tobacco I've stored in mylar bags -- 7 mil gusseted bags. I've still got some tobacco stored in mason jars and I've had no issues with those either, I'm careful handling them to avoid a drop onto the concrete floor.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I have a question since this thread is posted. What about the paint can types of tins? Good or not good for long term storage? Also, once cracked open how long before it needs to be transfered to a jar? Unlike round tins there is no real rubber seal to engage.

thanks

Attachments

• HU-tobacco OWB Directors Cut 100g.jpg
    HU-tobacco OWB Directors Cut 100g.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have opened a few cans, in some English, I mean mixtures, appears feather, I think it is feather. I have a modest collection in glass jars, well sealed. Most of my cans of English blends are bulging. I have a good amount of tobacco in square tins, and for the moment they are still sealed. Since my tobacco is not more than 5 years old. I started late to collect tobacco, and now, the best tobaccos are twice the price, here in the tobacconists of Spain. It would be great, not having to keep large quantities of tobacco at home, and go to your neighborhood tobacconist, and be able to buy fresh tobacco. As my father did, and many of you, in the 70s.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
True. But I'm not employing any special method to prevent possible lost over time. No mylar bag, not using glass jars unless I'm going to smoke that tobacco. My tins are either in plastic locker boxes or still in mail packages. So, if something happens to them, as much as I'll be upset, I'm at fault. And I'm willing to lose 20% for not taking any precautions.
A very level headed and honest approach to risk management.
This post makes me want to vacuum seal all my rectangular tins.

Reactions: JOHN72

dobbs

Lurker
Aug 3, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
To me it is most important to understand the level of risk, determine reasonable storage procedures to minimize that risk, and understand that nothing is perfect.

I'm more in the school of @bullet08 storage practices, but I do have a vacuum sealer and textured mylar bags. I put the contents (tobacco, sometimes whole tins) under pressure and seal. It's pretty easy to notice loss of pressure when periodically going through the stash, and that's good enough for me.

And yeah I've heard the whole, "sealing whole tins makes them rot away inside" thing, but eh, pick your battle.

-dobbs

Reactions: JOHN72

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've always wondered if it would be prudent to get the food saver vacuum sealing bags and just seal the tins in there when I get them. Has anyone ever tried this route?
I have.

Update: It's been a while and I'm happy to say that the tobacco has gotten better as time has passed... about 5 weeks. Smokes with more flavor and is smoother. Beats me what's going on inside the jar, but I like it. puffy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Got several cans of Balkan Flake the other day. The cans have a plastic strip around where the lid lip meets the can... like a lot of food products do. I removed the plastic and I could feel the lid was kind of loose. No way this is a vacuum seal. The tobacco was still moist. After trying it I've decided to let it dry out some. It has the "grassy" Virginia taste I don't care for and as far as it being 30% Latakia, you could have fooled me. I didn't taste any Latakia flavor at all. If a few days of drying doesn't help it, I'll try mixing in some more Latakia and see what happens. puffy

059-001577.jpg

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I have a question since this thread is posted. What about the paint can types of tins? Good or not good for long term storage? Also, once cracked open how long before it needs to be transfered to a jar? Unlike round tins there is no real rubber seal to engage.

thanks
That's a good question. I don't trust them, but as you can see from this thread there's no consensus on most questions regarding long-term storage. I think they might be better than the traditional flat round tin seals because they rely on compression of the lid itself. 🤷‍♂️

Calling @sablebrush52! What's your opinion on paint-can-style tins?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Got several cans of Balkan Flake the other day. The cans have a plastic strip around where the lid lip meets the can... like a lot of food products do. I removed the plastic and I could feel the lid was kind of loose. No way this is a vacuum seal. The tobacco was still moist. After trying it I've decided to let it dry out some. It has the "grassy" Virginia taste I don't care for and as far as it being 30% Latakia, you could have fooled me. I didn't taste any Latakia flavor at all. If a few days of drying doesn't help it, I'll try mixing in some more Latakia and see what happens. puffy

View attachment 260820
Pressed Latakia tend to be muted. For that reason, I find most Latakia flakes and crumble cakes unappealing, with a few exceptions.

Reactions: dunnyboy

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013

View attachment 260820
Yes the new gawith tins are a joke. Definitely vacuum seal the tin or get into a jar as soon as you get them. I just bought a 65 tin lot and some of the new gawith tins came already vacuum sealed but it's my first time seeing them after hearing about it and yes, they really are that bad. However I love the new frozen dinner style packaging for 500gram boxes and 8 ounce boxes

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Yes the new gawith tins are a joke. Definitely vacuum seal the tin or get into a jar as soon as you get them. I just bought a 65 tin lot and some of the new gawith tins came already vacuum sealed but it's my first time seeing them after hearing about it and yes, they really are that bad. However I love the new frozen dinner style packaging for 500gram boxes and 8 ounce boxes
I think the creature in the video is a metaphor of mold consuming your tobacco.

Reactions: andrew and JOHN72