PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wesquire

Lurker
Jul 29, 2015
USA
Aside from the cavendish in the BEF and the rum topping on the Navy Flake, what are the differences you've noticed? Do you think the Virginias are the same? Seems most people think the BEF has more perique.

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
stokebye flakes are great and underrated. Sit on them for about 5 years. If you don’t like them sell them at a profit.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Today was the Navy Flake, yesterday was the Bullseye but I was through it before this post. I will share my comments on that tomorrow.

Navy Flake is very Virginia-esc. There is some sweet and spice on the retro hale. I also got faint notes of Coconut, Toffee, Marshmallow... No rum, but that's a sugar cane drank so I could see that as being a culprit. It's a delightful smoke.

My Sample is from SP Bulk so age and freshness is probably young on both.

It's really good. two thumbs up.

Bullseye tomorrow.

Reactions: wesquire
The casing on LBF is not the same as the LNF. The actual unflavored cavendish in the center has no real flavor for me. When I smoke a bowl of just the centers, I detect a slight sweetness but no flavorings.
Whether these are the same tobaccos, I would really have to smoke them back to back, because I haven't given either that close a scrutiny.

But, LNF is definitely cased. I often stack a LNF with a LTF (Luxury Twist Flake) and twist them together. The coconut casing on the LTF is subdued by the LNF, and combined, reminds me of that aroma when you open a brand new box with cowboy boots. One of my favorite smokes.

LBF is about as close to this new reiteration of Escudo by STG as one can get in bulk. They aren't exact, but damned close.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Yeah, the Navy has a light casing and it's a good one but not an aro. It's a hint of flavor mixed in with good strong leaf flavor.

I plan on doing a Nautical themed review on a few different Navy/rum blends in the future for newer smokers in the future but it will exclude some blends I am sure others would fall over in rage if I didn't include...

wesquire

Lurker
Jul 29, 2015
USA
I don't have any LBF on hand, but even comparing some stoved LNF to some new St James Flake I have on hand, it is remarkable how much darker the St James Flake is. If I could find a cheaper/bulk way to approximate St James Flake I'd be ecstatic.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
But, LNF is definitely cased. I often stack a LNF with a LTF (Luxury Twist Flake) and twist them together. The coconut casing on the LTF is subdued by the LNF, and combined, reminds me of that aroma when you open a brand new box with cowboy boots. One of my favorite smokes.
If you haven't tried Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve, you might like it. To me, it tastes like a leather/saddle shop with raw oak floors and chewing on leather. Sorry to derail the thread, but it seemed appropriate.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

wesquire

Lurker
Jul 29, 2015
USA
If you haven't tried Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve, you might like it. To me, it tastes like a leather/saddle shop with raw oak floors and chewing on leather. Sorry to derail the thread, but it seemed appropriate.
If you like WTRR, try their Rare Breed.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Alrighty, today was LBF. I found this initial smoke high quality and had plenty of smokey spice but it didn't have the same complexity of flavors that the Navy Flake delivered.

It was purchased from a local B&M, from their bulk jar so I am not sure freshness or age but I would estimate they run through plenty in a timely manner due to their shop and the popularity of the blend/lack of availability online. So I am assuming it is young.

I did get a hint of a toffee like sweetness in one good long draw, perhaps when the center of one of the coins was burning but hard to know. This was in one puff, not a few puffs and it was early in the bowl.
It's good, and this isn't my final verdict. There are too many things to change the way we taste things.

I will continue to take this back and forth approach for another week or so and provide my thoughts.

Reactions: MCJ

wesquire

Lurker
Jul 29, 2015
USA
Alrighty, today was LBF. I found this initial smoke high quality and had plenty of smokey spice but it didn't have the same complexity of flavors that the Navy Flake delivered.

It was purchased from a local B&M, from their bulk jar so I am not sure freshness or age but I would estimate they run through plenty in a timely manner due to their shop and the popularity of the blend/lack of availability online. So I am assuming it is young.

I did get a hint of a toffee like sweetness in one good long draw, perhaps when the center of one of the coins was burning but hard to know. This was in one puff, not a few puffs and it was early in the bowl.
It's good, and this isn't my final verdict. There are too many things to change the way we taste things.

I will continue to take this back and forth approach for another week or so and provide my thoughts.

Interesting that you find the NF more complex. I get more flavor from the LBF. I had some of the NF yesterday and it seems like every time I smoke it I am underwhelmed at first and then it grows on me throughout the bowl. However, mine is home-stoved.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I think that it will take a few more rounds of each to get a final reading