PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
Hello,
I'm starting to smoke my aromatics in a bent billiard, Savinelli 606 ks, and my latakias in a bent bulldog. I like longer sweeter smokes, but I love latakias when it gets cooler outside, and I smoke outside. I still like smaller bowls of latakia. How about you guys?
pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there. I'm also a Pat, nice to have another kicking around the forums.
I find that I'm preferring latakia forward blends, and smoke them in larg-ish sized bowls. I haven't yet found a bulldog or Rhodesian that speaks to me. Most of my favourite pipes are largish variations on the egg, with the exception of the Virginia rotation that I'm building, which is made up of medium sized billiards, lovats and a tankard.
Cheers,
-- Pat

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
hey Pat,
I'm sort of new to the latakias, but I do like them. I just can't smoke them for more than a half hour.
That's why right now I smoke them in bulldogs and rhodesians. Shallower bowl, shorter smoke. but it does get a little hot.
I'll figure it out.
Thanks for commenting!
pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Many of the folks on this forum sing the praises of the Frog Morton blends and recommend them for folks that are exploring latakia in blends. Frog Morton's Cellar gets lots of props because it's packed with a cube of the stave from a whiskey barrel which provides a unique aromatic to the blend.
I haven't, yet, tried these tobaccos, but am very much enjoying Margate by Esoterica at the moment.
Have fun with exploring new tobacco, I know I am and the folks here are really helpful with getting good info.
-- Pat

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Pat, I just recently got into Lat blends myself. I really enjoy them so far. I only have three pipes dedicated to English blends so far. One is a Dublin with a medium/large bowl, one is a pot with a 1in. plus bowl, and the other is a meer with a smallish bowl. They all do well, but I seem to prefer the medium to small sized bowls. I prefer my Latakia in smaller amounts, so I generally only fill the pot half way.

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
Thanks Pete & Pat,
I just got done smoking a big bowl of Nightcap copy in my Sav. . .it wasn't bad. In fact it was pretty damned good. Had to light it 3 time, but got to the bottom and it was a beautiful smoke. I have a feeling this wasn't a big latakia smoke, it wasn't harsh at all. Well, not as smokey as I thought. I guess I won't know until I smoke a big lat.
Anyway, thanks for your comments!
hh

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I associate Latakia blends with the "full symphony orchestra" of tobacco flavor. When I'm in that mood,

I want a larger bowl, at least a wider bowl, probably a deeper bowl. But that's just how I smoke Lat

blends. I do sometimes smoke then in smaller bowls, for lack of time. I associate small bowls with

Va/Per blends. Aros can go in big or small bowls, depending on time and mood. I don't like Lat

dominant blends; I like the Lat to give good support, not predominate. I consider Dunhill 965 and

Nat Sherman 536 two good examples of this. I don't have a problem with ghosting, so I don't have

separate pipes for Lats.

Status
Not open for further replies.