PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Some of the pipes i smoke most often were essentially free. I got them in lots of pipes i bought off ebay, recognizing one pipe in the picture of the lot that i wanted and unexpectedly got other pipes that were gems in disguise.

I dont really care how much a pipe costs, i care that it doesnt gurgle, is light enough to clench and is a classic shape that i prefer, either a straight billiard, dublin or canadian etc.

Expensive pipes are often weighty and cumbersome, i have some italian and danish pipes that smoke perfectly well, they just get in the way of an effortless smoke.

If i had eight gbd shape 124's from the mid to early 20th century, that might be all I'd smoke, but if i had the money to spend on a 35k dunhill, i might do it.

Last edited:

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
It’s 100% about disposable income.
how do you show you’re better than everyone else if you don’t have the most expensive pipe?
If you don’t spend $26k on a pipe you might see someone with a $25k pipe and regret it!

The first sentence yes, The rest I don't agree with at all.
You will spend what you can afford on pipes. If that means Falcons and cobs then they're still worth talking about. If you want a Jess Chonowitsch and you can afford it, who is anyone else to say you shouldn't?
I have a Loewe I bought for $15 on ebay and restored that I love, and a pipe I commissioned from Federico Becker that I love. I really don't care what anyone else thinks about what I paid for them, I bought them for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The first sentence yes,
It’s 100% about disposable income.
The rest I don't agree with at all.
You will spend what you can afford on pipes. If that means Falcons and cobs then they're still worth talking about.

It's not about disposable income for many of us. I've seen many examples of relatively poorer folk having bought fairly expensive pipes. And some rich folks that haven't spent over $500 for a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Once you get beyond two or three hundred US dollars, you aren't talking about smoking so much. Exaltedly priced pipes are historical, as with renowned carvers' creations, and status statements. I doubt I'd smoke a $26K pipe. If I were so well off as to smoke a $5K pipe, I'm sure I'd revel in my lofty attainments in life, with that as part of my reward. As a pipe smoker who makes a sport out of finding superior smoking pipes for sometimes forty or fifty bucks or less, these investment-portfolio pipes seem like they miss the mark. I just bought a lithe light weight Kaywoodie with a nice blast finish and thin walls to the bowl that don't heat up much when smoking. If I had a Becker that smoked as well as this, I'd be well satisfied, figure it was worth its much higher price.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
@hauntedmyst you been drinking this morning? ?

Nope, I'm at work, just coffee.

Why spend an excessive amount for anything? A Remington pump shotgun will do about any job you need it to do from skeet to deer but some people spend thousands on over unders because they want it. My kid would rather have one Guggi belt than 5 other ones which boggles my mind. But I admire the fact that she's willing to work her butt off to get it. Most kids her age don't. I have a hard time spending more on a car than my parents paid for their house. I can afford it, it's just a thing with me and I'll be the first one to admit it's not logical. If someone wants to spend a grand on a pipe and they feel good about it, if they earned it, that's all that matters.

I probably won't ever be able to afford a Maserati or a Ferrari, but for just a few thousand, I could afford one of the topmost pipes on the market. I mean, I may have to scrape and save a little, but it's not out of my reach. I can't say the same about top end motorcycles, or a vehicle, but for a pipe a few thousand is not even as much as paying for braces for a kid or a boob job for the wife or girlfriend... or both.

I have a passion for Beckers. The design and artistry and attention to detail just excites me. Some might scoff at paying a couple of grand for something like that, but if I find value in it... I pretty much don't care what anyone else has to say anyways, ha ha.

You guys sound like my wife... "Why would anyone spend that much on a pipe?" "Who is this other woman you're buying boobs for?"

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I doubt many of the super expensive pipes get smoked much. I know I'd feel uncomfortable using a pipe that expensive outside of very limited situations. Heck my first pipe that cost 100 and some bucks made me feel uncomfortable for a while.
Oh and funny thing is I tend not to like the super expensive pipes. Of course I am a fan of classic pipes. I love my falcon but it's about as weird as I will go with pipes, which is odd cause I am a pretty weird fellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.