PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andvary

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2016
mihailo, I do my drilling, gluing, polishing and many other horrible things in the kitchen, when my wife and kids are asleep. Or sometimes not (actual quote from yesterday: "Honey, can you please keep the girl off me for a second, while I jam this red-hot wire through the pipe shank?! Thanks!").

Minor refurbishing, if done by hand, can be pretty non-invasive to the people around, unless you use aggressive chemicals.

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
Go around to second hand stores like Salvation Army, or Goodwill stores. Many times you can find estate pipes in the 5 dollar range.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can definitely accumulate more pipes that you will regularly smoke in rotation, especially if you are a moderate smoker. My local independent pipe shop owner saw me studying his wall of pipes and asked, "See anything you like?" And I replied, accurately, I'm looking for something I don't like." We had record heat the day we went to the state fair last week, and pushing my wife in a wheelchair, I wore out and never made it to my go-to N.C. pipe carver Jerry Perry, alas. I guess I'll catch up with him at the TAPS show in April. I do have a handsome new Sav prince, unsmoked, still in the box, and an unsmoked MM cob with a Forever stem on the rack, so I try to direct my purchases toward TAD, and keep the purchases small, with many wonderful unopened tins on hand.
If you want to cull the herd with the least hassle, consider bundling up two to six (or however many) pipes off to smokingpipes.com, iwan ries, or another online retailer, for store credit, and consolidate down the pipes you trade for an estate or new pipe more to your current tastes. Calculating for your time, shipping, etc., you will probably do as well as you would selling on ebay. No muss, less fuss.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
My PAD attacks me in waves. I'm in PAD recovery now. I haven't bought a new pipe in a little over three years. I know myself. The next pipe I buy will be followed by many more in a short time. :mrgreen:
TAD is another thing altogether ...

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have all the pipes I NEED, but not all I WANT. I have told my wife that I want one pipe each Christmas. This allows me more freedom to feed the TAD wolf while continuing to add to my collection. I have finally figured out what pipes I like so I won't be wasting money on ones I will be dissatisfied with and have to unload later. Getting only one pipe a year means I can afford to buy a quality piece I will keep for a lifetime. I currently have 22 pipes (3 bowls x 7 days +1). I divide them by brand / tobacco. Castellos, Jesse Jones, Comoy's & Icarus for Virginias, Ascortis, Caminetto, Peterson, Mastro Beraldi, Stanwells, and Savinelli Nonpareils for Latakia blends, and 2 H.I.S. pipes for trying new blends ( I really try to keep the cake very minimal in these). It helps me remember which pipes are for which tobaccos. I would confuse myself if one Ascorti was for English and 2 were for Virginias, etc. I got rid of several pipes (traded on a commission) that I just didn't enjoy. Now any pipe I reach for will be a winner! I will TRY to stop when I reach 30 pipes, but no promises!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Now that I have over 40 pipes and not believing in having more pipes than I can reasonably smoke, seldom get pipe lust. Though admittedly the desire to own a particular pipe due to not having its shape in my collection periodically reoccurs including this week. But, alas, financial sensibility stays my hand. :| Some years ago I bought a couple of pipes off the Bay in the middle of the night under the influence of Ambien. Now that substance can impair that sensibility, but will say those purchases were some of my better eBay deals. :D 1 of them was a blasted Peterson 4s I got for $49.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I find that maintaining my current gear makes me appreciate it more, and makes me much less likely to buy something new. So maybe clean your current pipe collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.