Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Luckily, brownies are in that category of food that looks good but is unwise to actually consume for me. I think of it as "food art."

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
the 40/40/20 initially smoked wonderfully well. i have some now that is 2 years old in a couple of mason jars. it is truly sublime. i encourage anyone / everyone to discover tobacco pressing. it is very inexpensive and simple to do. sure, the commercially produced tobaccos are more consistent over time (for the most part, but not always), but what's the fun in that....especially in light of the fact that good tobaccos just keep going up in price due to taxation. so, spend $50 to $100 and get going on this. there are some good videos on YT of guys using hydraulic presses. i'm no expert, but it is amazing how simple it is to do.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I'm new to this forum, so please forgive my rather ignorant questions.
After pressing your tobacco blend(s) into a solid "brick"....what do you then do to this brick of tobacco to get it back into a smokable form? Do you slice it....dice it....rub it, chop it....with a knife, axe, cleaver, food processor?
How? What results are you looking for? Do you want ribbons, flakes, cubes....granules? Will the pressed tobacco be too wet to smoke without a bit of drying it, first? Is it easy to smoke....will it stay lit?
Why is pressing done? Do individual tobacco flavors all blend together into something better?
Interesting subject, and process. Thanks for the thread. I learned something new.
Frank

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pressing whole leaves together produces a slab that can be sliced into flakes, (like rashers, or strips of bacon), portions of which can then be folded into the pipe or rubbed-out into ribbons.
Pressing previously cut tobacco(s) together produces a cake, which can be cut (with a very sharp knife), or it may be possible to just break off chunks with your thumb. Either way, it's caĺled a "crumble cake".
The goal of pressing is to meld flavors, but the different processes affect the burning characteristics too.
You can use any implements you want to get a smokeable bowlful of tobacco. With really hard cakes, like Salty Dogs, I've even resorted to using a cheese grater!

Status
Not open for further replies.