PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Had a bit the other day after a year long hiatus. It's was pretty good. Had a hard time keeping it lit though. I'm not upset I have 4 tins or so. Not sure if I enjoy it as much as I once did however. I think it could have been the pipe - not the hard time keeping lit, but the overall experience. I've been using half bents for a while and prefer them. I smoked it out of a strait. Eh. I'm thinking another legend for daytime latakia blends.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
It's one of my library of unopened tins, so I'm glad to have additional commentary on it. I tend to like robust English blends like Old Joe Krantz and Bayou Night from C&D, but one of my all-time favorite milder English blends was Nat Sherman 536, really refined with several levels like a special wine, but alas, no longer made.
Have you tried Old Joe Krantz Red Label?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Had a bit the other day after a year long hiatus. It's was pretty good. Had a hard time keeping it lit though. I'm not upset I have 4 tins or so. Not sure if I enjoy it as much as I once did however. I think it could have been the pipe - not the hard time keeping lit, but the overall experience. I've been using half bents for a while and prefer them. I smoked it out of a strait. Eh. I'm thinking another legend for daytime latakia blends.
could be the blend. When I smoked it I did enjoy it but it never hit that wow level that it's reputation warrants. Like I found it to be a solid and good blend but really couldn't see what separated from other English blends. It's on my list of English blends I'll smoke again but honestly I enjoyed Nat Shermans English more as well as Ashtons Consummate Gentleman which while very similar hit more of a wow and the tins of that one seem to disappear a lot faster then good ole Prebs ever has. I guess I am saying your statement of as much as I once did, makes infinite sense to me.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
could be the blend. When I smoked it I did enjoy it but it never hit that wow level that it's reputation warrants. Like I found it to be a solid and good blend but really couldn't see what separated from other English blends. It's on my list of English blends I'll smoke again but honestly I enjoyed Nat Shermans English more as well as Ashtons Consummate Gentleman which while very similar hit more of a wow and the tins of that one seem to disappear a lot faster then good ole Prebs ever has. I guess I am saying your statement of as much as I once did, makes infinite sense to me.
I hear ya. You could be right. I am going to try this 4 hr dry time that review talks about and see what happens. I'll report if I remember to do so.

Reactions: anotherbob

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Is this anything like Kramer’s? I haven’t tried this one yet. Just had Kramers English from 2018 and it’s a pretty strong smell for me. Still trying to find what I really enjoy. I was thinking of buying this one.
If you just had one bowl, give it a week and try again. Latakia is usually sharp straight out of the tin. Given short time, it will mellow out.