PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seilerjp

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Not to be an alarmist, but in these days it is necessary to prepare for the coming of the dark ages in terms of pipes and tobacco. Although there is a glimmer of hope in terms of the anti-FDA lawsuits, future congressional action to change the deeming date of the FDA regulations, there is no hope to change the new pipe tobacco taxation rates that arrive here on October 1, in Pennsylvania. We are seeing new regulations overseas that will eventually effect us (the closing of GQ tobaccos for one). We are seeing the effects of all of this in terms of pipe tobacco blends that are (or may be) discontinued, and the closing of local shops (I personally know of two as of this date). More of both will come. We do not know how the artisan pipe maker (domestic or imported) or the large pipe makers will be affected. We do not know the future of pipe shows, but under the new taxation regulations in PA, you can be found criminally liable for bringing tax unpaid products back into the state. So how do you prepare yourself for this future time of uncertainty?

I and members of our pipe club have been discussing this topic for several months now and recommend the following: 1), Check your pipe tobacco cellar. Make sure it has sufficient depth, especially in those tin blends that you enjoy. Purchase what you need. Purchase those tobaccos that you may not like as your taste may change in the future. 2). If you can still get bulks, purchase a sufficient quantity to meet your anticipated needs and jar it up. 3). In terms of pipes, it does not hurt to purchase additional pipes. My own impression is that pipes will be less affected by the FDA, but you can be sure that prices will go up. 4). Don't forget to stock up on accessories; pipe cleaners, pipe sweetener, etc

The members of our little pipe club have expanded their cellars by 50 to 100% in terms of tinned and bulk tobaccos, especially before the tax rates go up Oct. 1. We are all in good shape in terms of number of pipes and quality in our personal collections. We should have sufficient amounts to last us in our old age. Most of us are retired as it is. After October 1, my pipe tobacco purchases will become minimal.

In terms of crystal ball glazing, I think that the FDA rules and increased taxation is just a start. I think you can look forward to the elimination of internet sales of pipes and tobaccos, and the refusal of UPS, FedEx, and USPS for any tobacco shipping to consumers. I also foresee a more accurate requirement for shipment identification so that this kind of traffic can be halted, especially for shipments coming into the country.

Will our politicians come to our aid? NO! the tobacco topic is too onerous and has a bad reputation which is totally undeserved. It will be time for them to realize the revenue that they lose by their actions, but their response will be to just raise the tax rates. They never heard of the story of the goose that laid the golden egg.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't see us going backward in time. I think we are seeing the end of the golden age of the hobby that we so enjoy. Prepare now before it is too late. Regardless, if I am wrong and all these rules, restrictions, laws and regulations go away, just think of the fantastic tobacco cellar you will have. The price of pipes and pipe tobacco will never go down.

Happy Smokes

shotime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
thanks for the wake up, going to order lane dark red on monday and maybe a few tins of tks

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Pretty late to the game. Most of us have been stocking up for a few years. If you don't like the big PA tax increase just order from another state that has low taxes like Smoking Pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you for the warnings, but I personally don't believe the sky is falling. Big changes, yes, limitations, yes, but even if the draconian regs stand as currently formulated, it won't be the Dark Ages. Maybe like the Depression of the 30's!
Still, stocking up wisely is always a good plan.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Is that drinking game still in effect? This one would put me over the top and kicked to the floor both!! 8O

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
If you don't like the big PA tax increase just order from another state that has low taxes like Smoking Pipes.
This is the very concept that has got the regulators into such a kerfuffle.
I highly recommend paying your state tobacco taxes; the government needs your money!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I don't care to make knee-jerk reactions. Nothing is written in stone yet, at least not in the states. So, while I admit that the situation is a tragedy and will surely be painful, I'm not prepared to declare an apocalypse. I'll pay due diligence to acquire my preferred blends that may be lost, but I'm not going on a buying frenzy. Getting used to the loss of bygone blends has been part of being a pipe smoker for a long time now.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I'm not too worried about Y2K the FDA regs. But you are right about prices increasing. Not a bad idea to put a bit aside.

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
I went to stock up a little. I payed $78 U.S. for 2 lbs including shipping via USPS. After waiting for a month to receive the package to arrive. I found out that the country that I live in has closed all the post offices. Hence on more pipe tobacco for me. DRAT!

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I'am going to start stock piling too, ut to be honest, not being in the US, does have its advantages in this situation.

seilerjp

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Jitterbug, on Oct 1, the tax on pipe tobacco goes up 55 cents an ounce in Pennsylvania. There are new provisions that if you order it on line or bring it in from out of state, you are responsible for paying this tax and you can be found criminally liable and sentenced to jail time. That is a first and it is not just for not paying the 'sales tax'. There is also an Oct 1 floor tax that is due from shops. Yes, I have been stocking my cellar up for a long time. However, I am surprised at the number of people that do not know what is happening. BTW, regarding the FDA deeming date, they have interpreted that grandfathering is only for those products for sale and distribution in the USA ON Feb. 15, 2007 and the manufacturer has to proffer proof. I am sorry that I have little faith on the lawsuits and/or a congressional change in the deeming date. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but having worked many years for a Federal regulatory agency and seeing what goes on from the inside, my conclusion is that "we are screwed".

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There's no need for many of us to stock up as the blends we smoke have been around for a generation or so. If you are a smoker always wanting to try something different you might be worried, there's only a few thousand blends available not impacted by the new regulations. You'll have to hunt 'em down of course and they won't be getting any cheaper either.
Still, from my perspective, nothing to get overwrought about. Certainly nothing to hoard tobacco or ruin the budget over. Some smokers will be affected and others will not be impacted by the lack of new blends. I suppose one's level of angst is dependent on their smoking style.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A lot of us have been preparing for years for something along this line to happen. This is not a surprise. It's an inevitability. Whether all of your predictions happen here or not, some precautions are a good thing if one wants to continue to enjoy smoking a pipe.
As you may know, the FDA was urged to ban Internet sales and it declined to do so. I believe that decision has more to do with the money and power aligned with the Internet business community than with any concern over tobacco. That's one extremely well heeled special interest the FDA is going to avoid.
The Deeming Rule is simply part a continuing program to eradicate smoking, of which pipe smoking is a tiny part and collateral damage, in this instance combined with the scheme of a few large cigarette companies to control and monopolize the much more lucrative cigarette, e-cig, and vaping markets. Pipes and pipe tobacco wasn't a thought.
Politicians of either major party will not go on record as supporting smoking, they'll need other grounds to modify the FDA's overreach, so you're likely correct of the futility of congressional action. Any hope is in the courts.
All that aside, even if nothing changes, pipe smokers will still have far greater options than they had when I started smoking a pipe in the early 1970's. There will still be many hundreds of blends from which to choose and a lot of those blends will be excellent blends.
Prices will be higher. Prices are always higher.
And if you're looking for something scary to drive smokers to quit, try making medical insurance unavailable to smokers after an adjustment period. That would be easy to do with a series of tests for nicotine to qualify for insurance. The death of smoking is more likely to come at the hands of the insurance business than the FDA.
Eventually smoking of any sort will go the way of the dodo bird, or be reduced to the pastime of a few reenactors who like to carry on the arcane traditions of a bygone era, rebellious hipsters, or the hobby of home growers who will create fine blends for their enjoyment.
Until then, I will enjoy a bowl or two from the cellar I've been building for years.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
From a Brit's perspective this all reads as mad as the Volstead Act of the last century and will no doubt go the same way by which I mean the cleaverer smoker will find a different source for his needs thereby cutting the taxman out of the deal completely.
Unfortunately, whereas the Volstead Act forced alcohol production underground so as demand could be met with, I don't see folks growing & processing tobacco in their cellars (basements) or sheds.
Very sad reading indeed.
Regards,
Jay.

Dec 24, 2012
Sellerjp, you realize that pretty much every state has a law requiring you to declare out of state purchases on your tax return and pay the state tax? There is nothing new about that. How many people actually do that? Not many, I would guess. So really the folks in PA are in the same boat as the folks who live in the other almost 50 states with tobacco taxes who order from out of state vendors.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
...not being in the US, does have its advantages in this situation.

There are plenty of new EU/UK tobacco regulations to be concerned about and the loss of the US market will put a dire hurt on overseas blenders as well. So, the advantages may not be as great as you think.
Politicians of either major party will not go on record as supporting smoking, they'll need other grounds to modify the FDA's overreach, so you're likely correct of the futility of congressional action.

Republican Representative, Duncan Hunter, of California and Democratic Representative, Kathy Castor, of Florida have both gone on record in opposition to the FDA regs, at least as far as it concerns tobacco donations to troops. Castor has introduced new legislation to ensure the availability. Now, that's not saying that these arguments will gain any traction, but I'm sure there are others in government that would like to prevent any loss of tobacco income to their localities and can frame their positions as supporting the troops rather than being pro-tobacco.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Duncan Hunter, of California and Democratic Representative, Kathy Castor, of Florida have both gone on record in opposition to the FDA regs, at least as far as it concerns tobacco donations to troops."
As well they might and extra Brownie points to them for so doing. Woe betide anyone who speaks or acts against American military personnel, serving or otherwise.
Regards,
Jay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some of you are attributing only altruistic reasons to cigar manufacturer efforts to grow their market. Nothing wrong with that of course. Simply remember that such donations provide tax breaks and are intended to increase sales, the bottom line. That such can be accomplished under the guise of "looking after the troops" is beneficial to the cigar company as well as some of the troops.
If the receivers of such largess are not smokers they can gain through bartering the cigars for other products or favors. It's a win-win situation all around, excepting the tax losses for the government. Donations are sometimes for altruistic reasons and often because of various incentives, tax breaks, growing profits, etc. Could be a combination of both, I suppose. Corporations do not give product away without expecting some return, good PR, profit, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.