Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Ooo Just got a 624KS Bulldog..not the first pipe with precarb coating...Ive burned it down twice or three

I like the idea of the coating..and because its a thick pipe I went from a half bowl to full in short order

with good control. Good smoker.
I just wonder if I should have removed the coating.
Non issue?
Good Labor Day to all.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
It's a non-issue if there was no bad taste imparted to the smoke and it doesn't inhibit caking.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It's a non-issue if there was no bad taste imparted to the smoke and it doesn't inhibit caking.
+1
I consider it unneccesary, but I've never had one that gave me a poor smoke either.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I had an interesting conversation with one of the finest artisan pipemakers in the US at the Chicago Show....The reason he uses bowl coating? It's faster than finish sanding the interior of the bowl....
...and I also saw an interesting video from another world class pipemaker Todd Johnson who showed how a bowl coating would double the time that it takes for a flame to burn through a 1/8" piece of briar....
You'll find a wide range of opinions pro & con- I don't use coatings- that may change in the near future....
...and on the subject of filling new pipes with a 1/3/, 1/2, and full load of tobacco to break it in...What are ya thinkin'? Fill that sucker to the top, slowly smoke it to the bottom, and repeat often....Unless it's absolutely crap briar, it will be fine....The damage can come from someone who puffs like a train- that will destroy any pipe in time...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
+1 zack. With or without a coating I load a new pipe all the way and have at it. After 44 years of pipe smoking I have not had any issues with this.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks guy for the info on this. I was wondering the same thing and as far a breaking in new pipes, I did not think partial filing or full would make a difference as long as it was a good pipe. You all saved me some time.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've never broke in a pipe by using the 1/3 - 1/2 method.

Just stuff and puff it.
As for coated and non-coated pipes I've never notice an iota of difference in either.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Another vote for a non-issue. I've had coated and uncoated and have never noticed much difference.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
...and on the subject of filling new pipes with a 1/3/, 1/2, and full load of tobacco to break it in...What are ya thinkin'? Fill that sucker to the top, slowly smoke it to the bottom, and repeat often....Unless it's absolutely crap briar, it will be fine....The damage can come from someone who puffs like a train- that will destroy any pipe in time...
I haven't been smoking long enough to have a truly educated opinion on the matter, but I fill to the top and have not experienced any issues. That said, I can see the logic to the other methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.