PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
My heart hurts so bad when I hear of these atrocities!
My heart goes out to all the victims and their families.... I dont even know what to say... I am so sad :crying:

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Breaks my heart... I almost started my career in newtown and I have always considered going back there... more today than ever... so many good people in that town... one of my favorite areas.
I can't make sense of these tragedies...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I think that everyone's heart hurts today.
It's times like this when I wish we could just dial back the clock for an hour, a minute, and keep tragedies like this from happening.
I really feel for those families, and for the poor children who witnessed it all...
Rest in peace, little ones.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
The_Madonna_Praying_zpsc4f2e996.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This is so disgusting to me. It should never be allowed to happen. There should be a law, anyone with a gun gets 20 years mandatory no chance of parole. Screw the goddamn second amendment, no one needs to own a gun. You want meat, go to the store. I don't want to hear one more person say guns don't kill people, people do. Our society is being ruined because of fucking guns. The only people allowed to own one is L.E and military, no exceptions. When is this country going to wake up, how many more children need to die.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I will leave the political commentary out, as I feel it is inappropriate. I judge the man and his actions and they were the actions of a coward.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Cigrmaster, I have to seriously disagree with you here.
If you take away my gun, I, a law-abiding citizen, how would you take away the guns from the criminals, the murderers, the rapists, and the drug dealers? They would always find a way to get their hands on a gun.
Knives can be used to kill people. Swords too. So can baseball bats, crowbars, forks, writing pens, rope, household chemicals, automobiles... the list is endless. Should the Government ban all of those things as well? Heck, I could beat someone to death or strangle someone to death - so then should the Government cut off everyone's hands? Even without the benefit of our hands and thumbs, someone will find a way to kill, to do evil.
I understand your anger, your shock, and your grief - I've been going through it all day myself since I heard what had happened. There's just about nothing that can bring tears to my eyes, but this sure as hell did.
But if you take away your ability to protect yourself and the ones that you love, you open yourself up as an easy target to those who wish you harm. On average, according to the FBI, there are 4,000 crimes a day stopped in America by law-abiding citizens who own a gun. There are millions of gun owners in the US, I am one of them, but only a very tiny percentage of them ever commit crimes with their guns.
The Bad Guys will always get their hands on a gun. What will you do? Call 9-1-1? What is the average response time for a 9-1-1 call? Three minutes? Five? Ten minutes, sometimes even longer? That's more than enough time for someone to work all of the evil that they want. But if you have a firearm, you could stop that person from working their evil long before they could harm you or your loved ones.
Those who wish to do evil for evil's sake will always find a way to commit evil. All we can do is pray and do our best to protect ourselves and the ones we love.
We're going to just have to agree to disagree on this one, my friend.

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
Please let's not turn this thread into a political debate and focus on the children and the families affected by this unthinkable crime. Nothing in this world could break my heart as it does when children are victims. My thoughts are with them all.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Please let's not turn this thread into a political debate and focus on the children and the families affected by this unthinkable crime. Nothing in this world could break my heart as it does when children are victims. My thoughts are with them all.
I can find nothing to disagree with in this statement.
A sad day!

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I am at a near loss for words. I am not much of a prayer, but I will send my prayers to Connecticut right now.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
The idea that gun LAWS will stop people with intent to break LAWS as a solution is the beyond stupid. Im going to commit murder but its illegal to own a gun oh well nevermind yeah freaking right. Wake up. I pray for the families and clean my guns in preparation to fight evil. If any amount of peace is available to those families I pray it is given to them.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
“The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. “Wouldn’t you say,” she asked, “that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?” No, I said, I wouldn’t say that. “But what about Basketball Diaries?” she asked. “Doesn’t that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?” The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it’s unlikely the Columbine killers saw it. The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory.
“Events like this,” I said, “if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around t

he clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn’t have messed with me. I’ll go out in a blaze of glory.”
In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of “explaining” them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy.” -Roger Ebert

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I hugged my 2 boys extra when they got home from school. Nothing hit home like this did. I can't even imagine what the parents are going through...

Instead of wrapping Christmas gifts, their planning funerals

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
My condolences to all involved! But outlawing guns isn't the answer! Drugs are illegal but has that stopped drug abuse? NO!! If you outlaw guns only criminals will have guns. I don't care how tired you are of hearing it but, GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!!! If you want my guns you will have to pry them from my cold dead hands, and may God be with you when you try!!!

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I'm going to "unbite" my tongue about this topic.
This isn't a firearm issue.
This screams mental health issue, as many, many, of the other mass shooting perps turned out to be poorly adjusted, immature, social loners.
For this reason, I believe Harris is wrong on this point. Jud asks,"How long must this go on?"
My answer is,"Until we come to some kind of decision on how to handle the mentally ill among us."
Now, I'll go back to "read and bite tongue" mode.
:puffpipe:

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I don't know every last detail about the shooting but from what I heard on the radio on the way home last night, his mother was a teacher at the school, and she was among the dead. To me, this suggests that he had family problems. Not that it falls on the parents heads either, because I do believe that no matter how badly one feels, people should be held accountable for their actions, instead of being glamorized on T.V. as being ill or misunderstood. It's hard to hold a dead guy responsible, but as my last post said, trying to explain the killers reasons shows that even after it's done, a mark will have been left in history. Not only one where people talk about how much of a tragedy it was for the children, but (I don't think any of us on here will feel this way) how tragic it was for the murderer, because something in his life caused him to do this. Focus needs to be put on the lives lost, not the lives thrown away.
IMHO It isn't a question of gun control. If someone is going to do something like this, they're going to do it. The only thing to do is to be ready for something like this, protect our loved ones. Unfortunately even someone with a concealed weapons license probably wouldn't have been able to much, because it was a school. Not a theater or a mall where you're allowed to carry concealed. It's difficult to find a way to stop things like this from happening again without, spending on security guards, or taking the rights of the people who did no wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.