Apr 6, 2011
2005 FZ1.........fast Bike.
newtag001.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Both great rides, Jax!
Portascat, I understand. I'm a total bike slut. Every time I see a new, badass bike, I want it! If I had the money Jay Leno would be in envy!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Hey Ace, My sporty was a 93. I miss it sometimes.
Mike, I like what people are doing to trick out their dressers these days. Very cool.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Yep, as wannafly noted, it's sort of the Kawasaki answer to the V-Strom. I rode a little Ninja 250 for about five years, great little bike, and finally upgraded to the Versys, which I absolutely love.
The Versys would be the bike I'd buy next if I was going to get one. It fills a great niche and is just downright cool looking.
As much as I liked Buells myself - all you need to know about H-D's divestment in '09 is here. Growth in Asia and Europe for the HD brand seems likely to keep the brand lively for quite some time. There are more riders with more money in those markets all the time (well, in Asia anyway). Increased competition from high-quality domestics and imports should keep them focused.
They have to win foreign markets because their US rider market is shrinking rapidly. Post baby boomer generations have little interest in their product. With sales so far off from their peak of the last 15 years, it will be interesting to see how they fare over the next 10 years.

jlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2011
Denver
They have to win foreign markets because their US rider market is shrinking rapidly. Post baby boomer generations have little interest in their product. With sales so far off from their peak of the last 15 years, it will be interesting to see how they fare over the next 10 years.
The numbers in the 10-K don't seem quite this bad. They had a soft 2008 (who didn't?) and have struggled with legacy costs and raw materials increase since but the units they are moving are pretty relative. It seems that they aren't trying to win foreign markets yet (a long road to hoe) but are establishing footholds (India seems to be a focus). I was actually very surprised to see the number of units they moved in Europe the last few years.
HD's sales declined at a lower rate in both the US and Europe relative to the industry as a whole '09 to '10. That seems to suggest there is some strength in demand and strength relative to competitors. Most importantly e.p.s. wasn't a loss last year. Time will tell but the last term was positive for them. They could certainly run it into the ground though. There is some history for that...

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I was actually very surprised to see the number of units they moved in Europe the last few years.
If you read any of the UK bike mags, they generally speak well of Harley. They were all particularly excited to get the XR1200 before we did and gave it positive reviews.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
They actually did a head-to-head with a Ducati and DIDN'T bash it! It's pretty close to a "dream bike" I designed while at the shop using the Storz kit and the 100 inch S&S motor. Cafe-racer from HELL!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Motorcyclists are pretty universal in that we take responsibility for our own safety on the road. That is one reason we have fewer accidents per capita of other vehicles and when they do happen they are usually the fault of a car doing an illegal turn.
In Texas Motorcycle insurance is cheap. I pay about $200 a year for full coverage, including comprehensive, medical and uninsured motorist. Once I get the Ducati 1098 or 1198, that may go up.
My wife has $250000 in life insurance on me so it's a win-win for her. I have been riding bikes since age 18. so that marks about 20 years for me.
When I first bought a new bike, it was HD or nothing. I respect that, but now I just love bikes in general. Either you're in the wind or you're not.
I have really enjoyed seeing all the makes of bikes enjoyed by our members. I used to say, "It's not the bike, it's the ride",bu tnow A more experienced man has told me, "It's not the ride, it's the detours..."

Jul 12, 2011
I want a Can Am ~ Spyder....after riding racer-style bikes for so many years...I got lazy :puffpipe:

canamspyderrq.jpg

of course if someone was to throw me one of these...I wouldn't say no...just would ride off into the Sunset...really fast

ducati-diavel-black-diamond-2-600x414.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.