PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I have yet to find a list of post-2007 tobacco. I’m wondering is Russ’ Hearth & Home Signature Series Collection makes the list. But actually, I’d love to see a good list in case some of my favs are on there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You're not likely to find one. What most of us do is go to tobaccoreviews.com and search for the earliest listed review. If it's older than February 15th 2007 the blend in question is likely grandfathered in for now. I believe that the GL Pease blends haver their year of introduction included at the top of the blend's page.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable's method is probably about as accurate as any. I doubt the FDA has any concept of start-date of blends and such. I suspect their implementation of the regulations will be obscure, haphazard, and uneven. Information to retailers has been next to none, I've been told.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The rule I've been using is pick your top ten and buy as much as you can. Be it FDA, or just discontinuation, you'll have your bases covered.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I've begun the slow process of cellaring my favorites. I love too many blends. I think the GL Pease blends will be my second target once I'm done with SG and gh. Finished loading up on Dunhill and pp/Mississippi River. Expensive hobby. Maybe I'll pick one or two from each of the major vendors.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
The problem with buying as much as you can of top ten is for new pipe smokers, we don't know what are top ten are! I know my favorite types of blends, but it might change in time. And I can't smoke enough to go through what I have already purchased in the last year, ha.
I deep down hope it all goes away, but if not, I'll smoke what I have...then maybe start growing my own!
But to answer the OP, just Google the same question and a Reddit response has a decent list (I tried to link it but can't get it to work), that is the best list I have found.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The problem with buying as much as you can of top ten is for new pipe smokers, we don't know what are top ten are!
Then go with what you know. If there's one you really like at the moment, buy five to ten pounds of it. Add a tin of something that sounds interesting and go from there. I have over 70 blends in my cellar, but would be still be happy with only a handful of those. Would probably still be completely satisfied with only five of them.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The wayback machine is an under appreciated treasure! I just used it on Saturday to lookup the smokingpipes top 100 tinned tobaccos from September of 2015. It was surprising how few McClelland tobaccos were in that list. As I recall, a few Frog Morton varieties, Blackwoods Flake, and Three Oaks Syrian, plus maybe a Christmas Cheer.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The wayback machine is an under appreciated treasure!
Love that Wayback Machine! I use it for research.
With the exception of the Frogs and the Cheers and maybe Dark Star or Blackwoods flake, McClelland blends weren't top sellers, sat on shelves for years, and they didn't really get all that much play on forums. They had some fierce supporters among those who loved the McClelland way with Virginias but I suspect that market was strongest with more experienced smokers.
I did start to compile a list of endangered blends in 2016, but it was really more work than I felt like doing and after entering a few hundred blends I decided to put my time to better use. I'll see if I still have it and will post it if I find it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is what I started to put together shortly after the FDA Deeming Rules were announced. Please note that due to some language in the FDA wording I included for the possibility of all foreign made blends going off of the US market. Some, like HU, will definitely be gone because they weren't around prior to 2007.
Blends and lines of blends likely to disappear under new rules:
Aged Burley Flake, Solani (This blend may have beat the grandfather date by a matter of days, but…)

Bold Kentucky, Mac Baren

Bothy Flake, Samuel Gawith

Brown Sugar Flake, Samuel Gawith

Cabbies Blend, Samuel Gawith

Dark Flake Scented, Samuel Gawith

De Luxe Navy Rolls, Dunhill

Erinmore (The hiatus between Murray and Orlik production may mean the end for this blend in the US.)

Hearth & Home Marquee Series

Hearth & Home Mid-Town Series

Lakeland Dar, Samuel Gawith

Lane Limted Ready Rubbed

Old Dark Fired, Mac Baren

Peterson’s Perfect Plug

Salty Dogs, Dan Tobacco

Seattle Pipe Club Blends

St. Bruno not sure about this - Mac Baren has been making it since 2006

SToP blends

GLPease:

Chelsea Morning

Gaslight

JackKnife Plug and Ready Rubbed

Key Largo

Maltese Falcon

Meridian

Navigator

Quiet Nights

Sextant

Sixpence

Virginia Cream

Triple Play

Union Square
McCranie:

Red Ribbon

Red Flake
MeClelland:

Based on the year of introduction listed on Tobacco Reviews - there are probably more

All aromatic blends

Christmas Cheer

3 Oaks Original

3 Oaks Syrian

Aurora

Beacon

Beacon Extra

Black Parrot

Black Tie

Blue Mountain

Brindle Flake

Celebrated Sovereign

Coopersark Starter Blend

CPCC Caramel Blend

Emperor Leopaldo’s Special Virginia Reserve

GKCPC Chocolate Silk

Jubilee

Master Penman

Old Dog

Oldchurch

Pebblecut

Penman’s Choice

Red and Black

Top Hat

Tudor Castle

Tudor Castle Arcade
Germain’s:

Balkan Sobranie for sure

It’s also possible that all Germain’s blends will become unavailable as the rules surrounding foreign manufacture are a bit unclear
Mac Baran:

All aromatics

Possibly all Mac Baren blends as it’s a foreign maker

Possibly all Capstan blends

HH Bold Kentucky

HH Latakia Flake

Modern Virginia - flake and loose cut
Scandinavian Tobacco Group:

All aromatics

Possibly all blends as they’re a foreign maker

goodbye Escudo if that’s the case.

Goodbye all codger blends as well, like Half and Half, Granger, and Sir Walter Raleigh
Daughters and Ryan:

All of it
HU Tobacco:

All of it
Astley’s:

Possibly all of it. It’s made by a foreign maker.
Hearth and Home:

all aromatics

Base on oldest review date:

Marquee Series

Mid Town Series

Balkan Sobranie 759 match

Balkan Sobranie match

Classic Burley Kake

Daybreak

Delta Days

Drawing Room

Dunhill BB1938 Match

Freight Train

Fusilier’s Ration

Lakeland Brickle and Brickle Fortissimo

Latham Circle

Magnum Opus

Mohawk River

Patroon Island

Porch Swing

Steamroller

Stogie

Sycaway
4Noggins:

All of it
Cornell & Deihl:

All aromatics

ACPC Heady Doctrine

After Hours Flake

Balkan

Big Ben

Bijou

Bourbon Bleu

Buffalo Soldier

Burley Flake #1, 2, 3, 4

Burley Ribbon Cut

Burley Straight

Chenet’s Cake

Chopped Cigar Leaf

Cordial

Crooked Lane

Crowley’s Best

Dark Burley

Don Carlos

Elegant Emu

Epiphany

Exhausted Rooster

First Responders

Five O’Clock Shadow

Gentleman Caller

Good Morning

Habana Daydream

Herman’s Own

Interlude

Izmir Turkish

Joie de Vivre

Lunchtime Blues

Manhatten Afternoon

Mild Turkish

Monford Point Marine

Morning Drive

Oak Alley

Old Grove

Opening Night

Or L’yom

Or Olam

Kickin Chicken

Red Carpet

Red Odessa

Riverboat Gambler

Sunday Picnic

Super Balkan

Tuskegee Airman

U.S.S. Macon

Virginia Gentleman

Virginia Ribbon

White Burley

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
FDA is the spokesperson for anti-tobacco. But given they are an arm of government, they are probably too big, disorganized, inefficient and corrupt. As such I wonder if they have FDA hasn't the will to identify post-2007 tobaccos let alone inspect every tobacco outlet's shelves. Maybe they will employ a national troops to inspect the stores for them. Employment opportunity of the century.
No, I think the axe will fall on anyone seeking to bring a new tobacco out. This would be far easier to accomplish. Then they could flex their regulatory muscles and be proud for keeping America tobacco free.
An old friend persuaded me two years ago to accompany her on a visit to the chambers of NC's congress as they deliberated continuing the prohibitions to ensure that the public bathroom's of the state did not suffer use by transgendered people. It was laughable. Grown men supposedly with some intellect and education spending state funds on a matter hopeless of philosophical defense and practical regulation.
In this matter FDA, like the above, is in over its head and has its nose in that which does not concern them. They are boring.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
According to that list, we'd better be stocking up on McCrannie's Reds and McClelland blends before they're gone! :mrgreen:

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
That list is pretty much absurd. How can they steal our money through taxes if half the tobaccos are gone. Absurd on their end obviously. Maybe they're using the ask big then roll it back tactic.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great list Jesse, thanks.
If the pipe tobacco mfgs get themselves a real bright lawyer, they could drag this out for a decade or more. I don't believe there is any precedent when it comes to allowing some blends but not others based on just when they were made. Precedent setting cases can take forever.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
According to that list, we'd better be stocking up on McCrannie's Reds and McClelland blends before they're gone! :mrgreen:
Yeah, I know. But keep in mind that I wrote this in mid 2016. It remains to be seen what the effect could be on aromatics, since there's been some movement there, as well as foreign made blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.