PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Hello all

I updated to IOS 12 last week. Today, just right now, my iPad safari refused to let me access this site. ‘404’ forbidden via my wifi

So I downloaded Opera Mini and got right on.

I had no problem on my MBP this morning.

Even more worrying, I couldn’t connect on my Andriod phone tonight or a few days ago via 4G

Now this might just be my internet, but.....

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I'm happy to report that I have no idea what you are talking about. All that gibberish reminds me of a short story, The Machine Stops by EM Forster. It was written in 1909 but is much more relevant today with society's grotesque dependence on technology.
http://www.ele.uri.edu/faculty/vetter/Other-stuff/The-Machine-Stops.pdf

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I could go on and on, being a non-techie in a techie world. I can't get many sites because of Safari problems. I have a new modem from the cable provider which I can easily plug in, but I fear being incommunicado for days until someone comes to "speak with" the software and get it working. Then I may have to lug the whole PC to the Mac store to get the search engine righted. I lost access to smokingpipes.com and Iwan Ries months and months ago. Damn. I am the Typhoid Mary of digital technology. I didn't grow up with it, though I have used it on-the-job and at home for many years. The "thought processes" that went into designing it run against deeply ingrained circuitry in my own brain, so when it comes to the finer points and upgrading my programs, I can't do anything correctly. This is especially sensitive since my wife depends so much on our WiFi access, with mobility problems and doing a lot of shopping, even some food shopping, online. So, I will cease my whine. I grew up with rotary phones and TV's with two controls, and fiddle with digital devices at my peril. Assume I can bungle past these dilemmas, but this will never be "my thing," or only on rather limited terms. Hence the absence of photos on my posts, despite many fine tutorials and much good advice from fellow members. I get the idea, just can't make it work. Subtle stuff third graders know.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I had a vague isea of what he was talking about, but chalked it up to another “intuitive” Apple f*ck up. Either way, it’s not exactly extremely worrying, and no excuse to move to the ad hominem.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And I just can't justify spending that much on a computer when I can get a phone for $50. :mrgreen:

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Sadly I'm apart of the generation that understood what he said. First problem is you're using an apple product, their IOS updates are always screwy. Odd that Android gave you trouble seeing as that is the more stable OS for phones now. It could be your internet but why would this site be blocked? I know a lot of internet companies are blocking access to pirating sites now but the only thing close to pirating hear is Chasing Embers and his merry band if misfits on the Black Frigate.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Sadly I'm apart of the generation that understood what he said.
Not sad at all you were born into it. I remember trying to explain the C+ language to my parents. May has well have been speaking Sumerian. :rofl:

Dec 24, 2012
I am happy to report that, while I didn't fully understand the OP, my Macbook (which has the latest OS) works fine.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Voice recognition. I couldn't deal with a keyboard with arthritic knuckles.
I didn't realize you had that issue...sorry to hear it. It's amazing the voice recognition works that well.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I didn't realize you had that issue...sorry to hear it. It's amazing the voice recognition works that well.
Too many years working a keyboard, and surprised the voice recognition can keep up with my Eastern Kentucky accent. :rofl:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The "404" error is pretty common and usually refers to when a page address is such that is send you to the wrong place. It's usually a problem on the other end and usually corrected soon thereafter.
Whenever I get that code, I just assume that they are letting MSO do their coding and I head off to another site for a while... :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
:rofl:
Never been there, but was born in Indiana and later moved to Kentucky. Native family here call me a Hoo-billy. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.