PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Warning labels are getting ever more dire, ugly, and big. The governmental regulations are worse for this in some places than others. Often they take up half or more of the tin which makes it less worthwhile to even have tin art. It looks like Pfeifen Huber has a nice solution to this with the Kurt Eisner blend (blended by Hans Wiedemann of HU). Inside is a round sticker with a nice image of Kurt Eisner but without all the warning label stuff that perfectly covers the top of the tin. I'd like to see more pipe tobacco tins come with this! You can read the "death death death to all ye who open this tin" warning and then simply affix the sticker with pleasant imagery over it.

Here is the tobacco of which I write: Kurt Eisner from Pfeifen Huber

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I like it. Many tins come with a generic card with the image of a tobacco plant. I don’t see why they couldn’t use a tin art image instead. Might have to do with cost.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I like it. Many tins come with a generic card with the image of a tobacco plant. I don’t see why they couldn’t use a tin art image instead. Might have to do with cost.
I wonder how the glue ect. On the sticker may affect the tobacco's aging process. Yet, another obstacle to have to pay to overcome. I do like the tins that come with an outer sleeve, where the warning labels go and the tin are remains safe underneath.

The kid in me loves stickers, though!

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I wonder how the glue ect. On the sticker may affect the tobacco's aging process. Yet, another obstacle to have to pay to overcome. I do like the tins that come with an outer sleeve, where the warning labels go and the tin are remains safe underneath.

I bet it mostly wouldn't be a problem except in three really good blends that just eat up that glue aroma.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA

I wasn’t thinking sticker, just a card. I have enough Super 77 to make stickers for a lifetime supply of tins/jars. It would be really awesome if they made them the size of a standard Ball canning jar lid.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It's an extra expense for the manufacturers, but it'd be nice if they did it. It'd also be nice if they used glue that made the stickers easier to remove. Mac Baren is worst offender: even Goo OFF has a hard time with their labels.
that is the trick. How many more sales are going to come from having a sticker? Not enough. Though still clever if you help the customer improve the advertising on the tin. Though I imagine the companies that use this special cover sticker really hate those warnings in an extra special way.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Another option is easier to peel stickers like the kind they use on medication bottles: easy-peel sticker (which can be adhered back if you want) over firmer sticker. The BS stickers can thus be removed and tossed after purchase.

Then again, the jerk regulators probably have regulations even for glue, in order to make their warning labels difficult to remove.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
that is the trick. How many more sales are going to come from having a sticker? Not enough. Though still clever if you help the customer improve the advertising on the tin. Though I imagine the companies that use this special cover sticker really hate those warnings in an extra special way.
Another good point. How many tins are actually collected? Even people who collect tins for their art most likely keep only one or two or three and after that they just toss the rest when they reorder blends.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I'd like to be able to see images of tin art online as viewable images. Not a picture of the tin, but a picture of the art itself. Some of the labels are interesting are hard to view even without the warnings, and with so many tobaccos, there's no way I'm going to ever see them all in real life.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Another option is easier to peel stickers like the kind they use on medication bottles: easy-peel sticker (which can be adhered back if you want) over firmer sticker. The BS stickers can thus be removed and tossed after purchase.

Then again, the jerk regulators probably have regulations even for glue, in order to make their warning labels difficult to remove.
on the other side of the coin what if they used the same glue that killed George Costanzas fiance?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Years ago, one of the big tobacco companies, had the graphics of their tin art on their web site. Simply find the art and then print it to cover your mason jar.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
i haven't seen open lungs or teeth falling out on US labels yet. but for the gentle eyes of the youth, government should avoid those. or better yet, parents should sue the government for traumatic impact from those labels for their kids. oh the shock those labels could cause. like smokers will actually stop smoking due to some freaking pictures.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I just wish I could get on that tin art site but can't set up my account... Either way if you really want cool tin art collect some of the old tins full or empty?!

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Warnings are all on the box containing the tin with Samuel Gawith tobacco's. Throw away the box and the tin art is unspoilt....brilliant idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.