PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
You could easily show up at R&T at 4:30 and be fine. I left last meeting around then and there were still around 15 guys there. If you ever get out to Oregon City you should stop by House of Calabash and pick up one or two of Steven's blends.
R&T is great and its very friendly. I went there with a friend to smoke a few bowls, have some drinks, and play darts and no one complained when I lit up a bowl of Squadron Leader.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I live in the Hazel Dell/Vancouver area and I'm up for a meet maybe start our own SW Wash club.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
The meeting location and time is different this month. It will be Saturday the 15th at 5pm, and additional details are here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThePipeGuys/message/1042

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I wasn't able to make it either. I didn't realize it had been rescheduled to Saturday and I had a prior commitment.

@wyfbane, send me a PM next time you are in the area if you want to meet up somewhere for a bowl. My friend that I normally meet for pipes, pints, and darts is going overseas soon and it would be fun to find more people to smoke pipes with in public.
I'd even consider a trip up to Vantucky if you know of a smoking friendly establishment.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
bumping this. When is the next meeting? I joined the Seattle Pipe Club, but want to meet up with my brothers from Oregon.

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
Just came across this thread. I'm in SW WA and am up for local pipe meet-ups or clubs. Would be nice to get together with other pipefolk over a pint on occasion rather than relaxing in my backyard/garage or having a pipe while taking the dog for a walk.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The "center" of activity in the Oregon pipe smoking scene seems to be "The House of Calabash" where Master tobacco blender Steven Books passes on information to the faithful. See http://houseofcalabash.com/ and maybe email for more information.

direwolf

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
Bump.
Anything come of this?
I've called H of C once, and got someone to confirm they were still in business, but have gone by and they were closed, during posted hours.
Have e-mailed and gotten no reply also.
Seattle shouldn't have all the fun, but finding a place might be hard.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Steven Books, the owner of House of Calabash, is known for keeping irregular hours. If he is not busy he will very well close a few hours early. The store is open every Saturday I have ever gone there. Sometimes his daughter is running the counter.
He probably sells more cigars now than pipe tobacco. He still has a large loyal following of locals.
When he has both his hands in that giant copper mixing bowl he keeps by the store entrance, no phone will persuade him from leaving his task.
He does not have email, I think he told me, so the email address might be left over from when his web site was hacked, and he just abandoned it.

direwolf

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
Not sure - the e-mail was listed on his facebook page.
I went by on a Saturday about 5 a couple weeks ago. :shrug
I didn't see much in the way of cigars in the window, but he only has 10 blends or so so that doesn't surprise me. Must be nice to be able to have a business, and not answer e-mail and leave whenever you want. :lol:

direwolf

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
Not sure - the e-mail was listed on his facebook page.
I went by on a Saturday about 5 a couple weeks ago. :shrug
I didn't see much in the way of cigars in the window, but he only has 10 blends or so so that doesn't surprise me. Must be nice to be able to have a business, and not answer e-mail and leave whenever you want. :lol:
Anyway - is the PDX Pipe Club still doing anything? I found a Yahoo group, but there is so little traffic, it's hard to know. It's certainly not an interactive kind of thing it would seem. Several months have one post - no banter, no "good to see you guys again", no tobacco trades, etc.
It's odd, IMO.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I will be moving to Vancouver in the next 6 months. Totally into hooking up with whomever, where ever to smoke some pipes!

direwolf

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
From Seattle?
Looks like you're affiliated with the SPC (looking at some of your posts)?
You might have some experience to help jump start something!
There are a few places that still allow (outdoor) smoking, but indoor will be an issue, I fear. I haven't been to the Rose and Thistle in years, so I'm not sure what they have on the patio out there. Smokin' Joe's in Fife seems to be an abnormal situation with the res property in the SeaTac outskirts.

direwolf

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
The Yahoo group/list ("The Pipe Guys") is "active" as in, there appear to be meeting.
3rd Sunday, 2ish-6PM at the Rose and Thistle in NE.
I got confirmation from the list, and spoke with Steven Brooks at his shop in The OC.
Word is 4-12 people show up regularly (outside), depending on weather.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ThePipeGuys/info

jasonatptld

Lurker
Apr 24, 2016
The Portland Pipe Cub does still meet. 2pm, 3rd Sunday of every month, Rose and Thistle.
http://www.portlandpipeclub.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.