PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
So I really wanted to open a different Lat blend today, it's been gloomy so lat blends seem fitting. I'm about half way through a wonderful tin of GLP Ashbury. I decided I wanted something heavier and quite different so I figured the 3 Oaks would fit the bill best for what I have in the cellar. Both tins were a gift from RMBittner aka Bob. Any thoughts or reviews on this blend I'd like to hear them and I'll let you know my initial impressions later today.

Jul 15, 2011
Been a while since I smoked any of the 3OS, and I was a way newb at the time I smoked it so Im sure that I didn't appreciate it as much as I could have. I do remember that it was way better after it had been allowed to air out for about a week or so. In any case, let us know what you think.

kenoshakid

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2013
tjameson, that's funny - I just recently popped open a 2011 tin of 3OS. I really think you're going to like it, assuming you like Syrian latakia. I could go so far as to say it's one of my favorite blends.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I"ve only smoked one of those 2010 tins so far, and this was back in 2011, when it was younger. But at that time, I wrote that 3 Oaks Syrian "was a delicious, though mild, Syrian-dominated English, with few distinct hints of other orientals and a fairly generic underpinning of soft Virginias. The Syrian, however, is quite good. Seemed to improve over the course of a month of smoking."
Bob

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I really enjoy 3 oaks, it is very flavorful and enjoyable. I find it a little savory, smoky and tangy. 3 Oaks, Syrian Reserve and Wilderness are new additions to my rotation. I am on a Syrian binge and I like it.

Jul 15, 2011
I have to comment on how, even today, I'm so appreciative and respectful on how well McClelland so artfully blends their tobaccos. Just absolutely masterfully done.
There is no better example of this than Wilderness, IMHO. The first few bowls seemed almost flavorless, but with some extremely slow puffing and dilligent taste buds, one can pick up all sorts of subtle flavors that really make that blend pop. Wilderness taught me a lot about pipe smoking, such as how much better a blend can taste after you let your palate rest for a day or two of no smoking and then going back. I started that routine with my tin of Wilderness and now practice taking a break to pick up flavor nuances all the time now.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Pipe Novelist:
Wow. You sent me scurrying to TR.com and SmokingPipes.com: I'd never heard of this blend before (and I like to think I've at least heard of most of the stuff out there!). Don't know how this one slipped by me, but I really appreciated being able to learn about it. Thanks!
Bob

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
3 Oaks Syrian is my favorite blend to date! I really do not think you are going to like it so I'll be glad to take it off your hands!
Enjoy! Cheers.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Wilderness is absolutely delicious and since I guess it does not sell well the tin I got had a couple of years of aging. It was from jan 2011. Spectacular!

Status
Not open for further replies.