PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Here is a pipe that stumped me along with a pipe I would like to get a general idea about age. I picked them up recently and, after a bit of research, realized I knew little to nothing about them. The first one is a P. Larsen Straight Grain. The only thing I can find about it is a name, Preben Larsen, in Pipedia with no other information. Anybody know anything about him/it?
dscn3159-600x450.jpg

dscn3161-600x450.jpg

dscn3162-600x450.jpg

The second one I know the maker...it's Preben Holm. I haven't seen this stamp on a pipe, however, and would like to know more about it. It's P HOLM over DENMARK. Sorry for the crappy pic, it's the best one I could get of the stamp.
dscn3164-600x450.jpg

dscn3165-600x450.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Two interesting pipes, from a set of auctions that had some very nice Danish pipes. The only mention I found of P.Larsen was at pipepages in the 1969 RDTA catalog listed under Snug Harbor Tobacco Ltd. Danish Handcuts, Straight Grain pipes $25 and up. P. Larsen is listed along with Celius, E. Chonowitsch, and Sven Knudsen, so not bad company. Perhaps 55/67 is the 55th pipe made in 1967?
The P Holm pipe is, I would guess from roughly the same period, considering the source. Maybe marketed or sold in the U.S. by Snug Harbor. Remember most of the Preben Holm work we see is from the Ben Wade brand, used after the collapse of Snug Harbor by Lane Ltd. Read the Preben Holm pipedia entry to get a sense of the dating, I would say late 1960's.
I would add that most of the Danish pipes in that set of auctions appeared to be from the early to late '60's, the Dantonian's, W.O. Larsen's, E. Chonowitsch, Holtorp, so I think it also give a sense of the dating of your two pipes.
Dave

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the info. I went through the catalog and it looks like the early Danish pipes we revere now were relatively inexpensive in their time. The P Holm stamp is a little odd to me in that it looks different from any of the stampings I recognize. It is a beautifully grained pipe with a lot of straight grain around the bowl so that, with the age, makes me even happier I went for it. At $91 I probably overpaid for the Larsen but I'm actually pretty happy with the buy since it seems to be such an uncommon pipe. Plus it's my first pipe with a horn stem...now to figure out how to clean it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Larsen is an interesting looker. Would that shape come under the tulip heading, if it were classified?

I have a hard time thinking that these were sold retail in the U.S. Maybe someone brought it back from

Europe. Pipe scholars, thank you for the background. It is an interesting piece. Also, it is interesting that

the pipes by the now great names were sold as mid-level pipes in their time.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I don't think I would characterize $25 and up as necessarily "mid-level". The catalog mentions Dunhill Shell $22.50-$35, Root $30-$45. The most expensive pipes listed are Charatan's, which is not too much of a surprise given their reputation at that time, Supreme $100. The outlier amongst Danish pipes listed is Hansen $150 and up. No Comoy's prices listed, the most expensive Barling $40, the most expensive Sasieni $65-$85. Exchange rates would have an influence, along with the desire for market penetration in the U.S., especially against the better known British brands.

K

klause

That Larsen is absolutely beautiful.
I have a couple of pipes with horn stems - cleaned them on first purchase with lots of pipe cleaners and alcohol. Still do, and so far no detrimental effects.
I have dunked some in oxy-clean - that works really well. However, don't leave 'em to long - i did that with one, and it roughed up the stem a little - nothing a mild sanding didn't put right.
Again, that is a cracking pipe - I hope it brings you much pleasure.

K

klause

Looking at the pics again, that Preben Holm is really very, very nice - congrats on both pipes.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks Klause and Sam. I'll probably clean them up this weekend so I'll let you all know how they smoke next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.