PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You may see me around a bit more - I was diagnosed with Lumbar spinal stenosis in February, and prescribed Tramadol for the pain. Now I'm trying to get off the stuff and that's a challenge. For those who don't know, it's an addictive opiate and from all reports one of the worst to quit. I'm doing it cold turkey and last night was pretty rough. I'll try not to snarl at anyone, and I suspect I'll be spending more time at the computer (less time sleeping!) and maybe more smoking, too! :)

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thanks, guys - surgery isn't a good option, and with luck and some therapies, not needed - at least, not for a while. I'm 70 and they don't like doing back surgery on my age unless it's a lot worse than it is at the moment. I'm getting off the drugs so I can tell whether the physio and other therapies are actually improving things! Can't tell while drugs are suppressing the pain!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Good luck, brother!
It will be difficult but you can and will succeed. Smoke your pipes and do not forget to reward yourself for hitting milestones like a week, two weeks and your first month free of Tramadol.
When I was getting off the double strength Percocet from my back surgery, those rewards helped quite a bit. So did my pipe smoking, it helped reduce the anxiety and focused my attention towards something else.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Dallas, just opened one of my wife's drug books and looked up Tramadol. The book said it is not a controlled substance. It says it is an analgesic that will bind to the opiate receptors in the body. This came from a 2015 drug book. Also I drive for a living and Tramadol is the only thing they could give me for my arthritis. If you are taking an opiate you are taking a class 1, 2 or 3 controlled substance. All of this can be verified by talling to your Doctor or go to the local library and see if they have a current drug book. BTW, my wife has been a Nurse for over 40 years.

Lots of luck with your back
John

coraxsnag

Lurker
Feb 13, 2015
Good call on shucking the meds, and good luck with the withdrawal recovery. In the meantime, don't skimp on the physical therapy and look into massage therapists as well, if your PT thinks it's a good idea and doesn't already have them on staff. (Assuming you're not already getting massages as part of the recovery.) I'm an LMT my own self, and we purely love to have referrals from, and cooperation with, physicians and physical therapists for more effective treatment plans.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
dhintonca, Hang in there and good luck!
phxrock, tramadol just went controlled as of August of last year. It's Schedule IV. Some states designated it that way before the DEA required it due to its potential for abuse.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thanks guys - yes, here in Canada it's controlled -- I'm not sure what all the classifications are but it's definitely up there! Massage really helps, for sure!
Thanks for the encouraging words!

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Dhintonca, hang in there, you can make it!

Hope your back problem will get better soon.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I feel your pain. Back issues are common in my family and my own included. I highly recommend that you get yourself an inversion table for decompression.

It is not comfortable at first and you have to take it slowly and by stages until you become accustomed to it, but it does help to align the spine and also decompress the vertebrae.

Fusion has failed family members. I got my table off the Zon for $100.00 delivered to my door. I had to assemble it, but it came together easily.

Surgery includes a lumbar decompression with or without a lumbar fusion.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
ouch, stenosis isn't fun at all. I feel for you!

Good call getting of the meds.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Hang in there, we are all rooting for you. Feel free to gripe if need be -- we will all commiserate with you.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
/dhintonca
I know what you are experiencing with your stenosis. I have spinal stenosis and had a laminectomy in the L3-L4-L5 area a few yrs ago. Within a few months most of my pain returned because of the development of scar tissue pushing on nerves. I am better now but it will be a battle with pain for the rest of my life. Changing barometric pressure and high humidity are not my friends! I'm better at forecasting the weather than a meteorologist!

Status
Not open for further replies.