PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
So you would want Steve to do exactly what I just suggested - when his shop is a consignment store with a different business model than a retailer with a massive warehouse moving multiple tins of the same product. Are you not seeing the difference here somehow? I don't know if you're daydrinking or what, but maybe a reread like Cosmic suggested would be helpful.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Steve can do whatever he so chooses. I liked Steve, I've bought many pipes and many tobacco blends from him over the years.

He should run his biz as he sees fit. I was just expressing my opinions to the OP (and then others)...which set off a very interesting explosion for the day. I got cars at the gas pump, gotta go.
For those who can't read the entire post or are too lazy, here's the gist of how it started "
Cosmic Quote : "We have a member of our pipe club who will pool people's money to buy up as much as he can from pipestud. He will then bring them to our meetings and distribute it among friends. I have no idea what is going to buy or how much, but it sure is nice to have someone like that as a friend.
And I openly posted my opinion that I thought it was a greedy antic.

May 4, 2015
Good deal. Answering specific questions regarding your beef IS very difficult - leaving is probably the best COA from your standpoint.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
This is a strange thread to read thru. I've bought several tins from Pipestud and will continue to do so. As a relatively new pipe smoker my cellar doesn't have much age in it. Pipestud's offerings gives me the opportunity to try some aged blends that I would normally have to wait 5-10 years for my cellar to age. Do I get every tin I want, hell no but I've gotten a majority of the blends I've wanted. I've has only one issue with an order and Steve went well beyond anything I could hope for in correcting it.

May 4, 2015
PLEASE answer this question, as I think three times asking it is sufficient.
What opportunities are these "pigs" being afforded that you specifically are not?

Oct 7, 2016
While he likely does buy some tobacco on his own account for later resale, the vast majority of Pipestuds tobacco business is conducted on consignment. He has a fiduciary obligation to sell the consignor goods in a commercially reasonable manner. As someone who has consigned tobacco to him, I would not think imposition of quantity limits, as Kirkland seems to advocate, would be at all reasonable and I would look elsewhere for an outlet.
On line retailers who impose quantity limits are playing games. They know that most customers won't pay the shipping on just one tin of tobacco and will order something else. Pipestud had a totally different business model.
BTW, I would totally endorse the positive comments about Pipestuds business ethics that have been made here.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
If you could read (and comprehend) Frogboy, your question has been answered several times. So once again, I advise you to go back and read the posts and then answer your own question. BTW, I miss you on the other pipe forum immensely
Oldgeezer" as I said, Steve can do whatveer he pleases. My issues are more with a group of guys hoarding up the hard-to-get tobaccos off his site.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I am not going to get in the middle of this, but I am enjoying it. But I must explain from my OP:
I had every opportunity to by the Larsen 2013, Sugar Barrel, Hickory, etc. The two that I saw that seemed to be sold immediately were Orienta and India House. I am not on Pipestud's mailing list, so I am guessing that's how those got spotted.
I could not afford all the items I wanted, so I kept hemming and hawing. Then, when the last one I wanted was left, I purchased it.
Pipestud has been very friendly in responses and quick to ship, as quick as SPC and P&C.
My OP was just a slightly sardonic muse.

May 4, 2015
BTW, I miss you on the other pipe forum immensely
Not sure what you mean, as I've never been on another pipe forum.
And you have never directly answered that question. If you have and I missed it, please quote it for me.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
David, I'm not speaking about the blends you were after. And I was on his web notification when supposedly new tobacco was first posted. Even with that email option, all the "hard-to get" blends were always gone. The blends you've listed are not what I consider "hard-to get"...although they may be..and some of that depends on what you like. I'm speaking of the same old blends that are bellringers for many pipers..the classics and the discontinued ones. (GLP, Renassaince, Mephisto, Bohemian Scandel...Esoterica blends like Penzance, Stonehaven, the old Balkan Sombranies, etc. These have a high price tag (for good reason) which I don't mind paying for...thus a big demand as well. But when a small group of pipesmokers decide to scarf it all up,I find it hard to respect people like that.

May 4, 2015
But when a small group of pipesmokers decide to scarf it all up I find it hard to respect people like that.
Are they being given access to it before you somehow? Are you suggesting some sort of conspiracy?
I don't cater to people like you.
Rational people who are trying to make sense of whatever it is you're injured over? Fair enough.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Tom, and others in this thread but specifically Tom, is one of the most cheery and helpful members in this forum and is up for the Forum HOF in my not so humble opinion.
I love Jim Nabors, btw. Grew up with his singing. You're no Jim Nabors. Please change your avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.