PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Cosmo quote "And, if you are all pissed that someone else bought something you couldn't afford, and we were all sharing, and you were wanting it for yourself... who is the selfish greedy person here?uote :
Show me ONE post anywhere in this entire forum where I complained about the PRICE of tobacco. I'll wait.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
And there are those people who are greed-based who couldn't care less about others and they want it all for themselves. For example: they do things like throw it on ebay at 3 times the price they bought it for. Or they'll just sit on it with hopes the value goes higher. "Investors." I cal them greedy businssmen.
eBay is blight for sure. Any time something becomes purely an investment instead of being done because it is worth doing, all quality goes out the window and idiots rule.
I don't get the connection to group buys, but it's early yet.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
HI Kirkland,

So if it's not about Pipestud's prices, what is it about? Hoarders? Yes, there are a number of people who have amassed large amounts of tobacco for their personal use, and there are any number of people who have amassed stocks of particularly popular blends with a view toward selling them at a profit. People do that in a wide variety of markets. Some do it because they're investing. Some do it because they're nuts. But Pipestud has little to do with this. He's not even a drop in the bucket compared to the vast amounts of tobaccos aging in thousands of cellars. He's simply a conduit for some people to sell some of their holdings. If the market for aged or out-of-market blends expands, others will follow in Pipestud's footsteps.

If your point is that hoarding is unfair, I don't disagree. But in general, people really don't care that much about fairness, except when they think they're getting the short end of the stick. They sure as hell don't want anyone imposing "fairness" upon them. Acts of kindness and generosity are personal and individual. So, human nature being what it is, hoarding is going to be an ongoing activity. And if that causes problems or market distortions, so be it. It makes those acts of kindness and generosity much more meaningful because they're not the norm.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
jpmcwjr quote:
Show me where I've complained about the price of tobacco (aywhere on this forum. Ever). In fact I've stated on this forum numerous times that I have zero issues paying top dolalr for blends I like. So how did you come up with that question ? ..as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
But in general, people really don't care that much about fairness, except when they think they're getting the short end of the stick. They sure as hell don't want anyone imposing "fairness" upon them. Acts of kindness and generosity are personal and individual. So, human nature being what it is, hoarding is going to be an ongoing activity.
This is generally true, but people vary in quality a lot. The good ones are a mixed bag: clearly self-interested, but unwilling to engage in destructive practices, and often willing to sacrifice for what they love.
Look at the generosity of people on this forum, for example. Keep in mind that most of it does not even make it to the public pages. Also look at the time and energy spent by people in conserving knowledge from the past.
Life is complex. Some would say it is a clash of philosophies of life. Some are pure materialists, probably most of humanity. Others see that the only meaning in life comes in reaching out toward that which is intangible, and making the material more beautiful that way.

May 4, 2015
I'm confused. What opportunity are these people that are buying the tobacco from Steve afforded that you are not? You both have to open your computer, see what's there and purchase it.

May 4, 2015
Gomer is clearly just a millennial whinebag who is convinced the deck is stacked against him. This is one of the more ridiculous rants I've seen in a while. That's enough out of me.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Forum drama is so rich.
To have love, you must also have hatred. You hate that which harms what you love. Think of frontier women killing the coyotes that got too close to their food supply or children.
I like the idea of a brotherhood. The only way to do this is to hold up as examples the people who do good, and to pay more attention to them.

Yeh, I was all willing to say that we agree to disagree, until he got all "shame, blame, pigs, and unethical" name calling and then calling on brotherhood.

I am still not sure what his beef is with. Someone else bought it before him? Someone bought more than him? If someone wants to hoard, then that is someone's prerogative and he is in a free country. God Bless and good luck to the hoarders. If you are jealous, then I hope you can either get over it, or come to grips with your problem.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Sablebrush, Again, it's never been about prices. Why are so many posters thinking that? On several ther posts in this forum I've stated that I have no problems paying 100-125 dollars for a 2 oz tin of GLP Renassaince on ebay. And I do it whenver they come up or when some of my other favorites come up like Penz. I'll gladly pay 300 bucks for an 8 oz bag. Money isn't my bitch. I understand the supply and demand market. I have plenty of money to spend on the things I enjoy.
A small group of guys who pool together to buy up all "the hard to get blends" from Fallons website is not to my likings. And I'm quite sure Steve knows thats how it's been going down. And yes, why should Steve care ? He sells it and makes a profit which is what business is all about right ? At least thats how most businessmen think. I'm a old fart and believe you can run a sucessful business yet still keep some moral ethics and still "give a shit." But not in todays world where it's dog eat dog.
Thats my bitch. It's about greed...which will never, ever go away... as long as people keep thinking all about themselves. I'm weird and think about stupid shit like equality for all and doing whats right...and this odd rarity called sharing. But as I said earlier I live in a fantasy world.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
pipesmokintom quoted "Gomer is clearly just a millennial whinebag who is convinced the deck is stacked against him. This is one of the more ridiculous rants I've seen in a while. That's enough out of me."

Instead of calling me a millennial (I'm 60 btw) why not contribute to the discussion in a more adult way ?
Tom also quotes: I'm confused. What opportunity are these people that are buying the tobacco from Steve afforded that you are not? You both have to open your computer, see what's there and purchase it.

Have you even read this thread, Frogface ? lol

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm a old fart and believe you can run a sucessful business yet still keep some moral ethics and still "give a shit."
Depending on the field, this seems to be true. But too many start out with their motto being "don't be evil," and then quickly invert that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Look at the generosity of people on this forum, for example. Keep in mind that most of it does not even make it to the public pages. Also look at the time and energy spent by people in conserving knowledge from the past.
Absolutely. There is a lot of sharing and gifting that goes on here and in other forums. It's part of what I like about the community. But it isn't a given that the person who sent you that tin of unobtainium is similarly generous in all of his affairs. His ability to cellar may be the product of his activities as a slumlord, or a hitman. We got all kinds here.
My experiences with Pipestud have shown me that he is a very astute businessman, and a very ethical one. I'll give an example. A couple of years back I bought a Barling Guinea Grain from him. The price was good and I was happy with the deal. When the pipe arrived I saw that it had a replacement stem, which had not been mentioned in the listing. I let Pipestud know, and also let him know that I was still happy with the deal. I wanted him to be aware of the issues that indicated the stem was a replacement for his future reference. Pipestud insisted on refunding me 30% of my purchase price and wouldn't take "no" for an answer. So Pipestud is astute for knowing what the market will bear, and ethical for insisting on compensating me, even though I did not ask for it.

May 4, 2015
why not contribute to the discussion in a more adult way ?
Impossible.
This is likely the most childish complaint I've ever seen. Again, I ask you what opportunities are the "hoarders" being afforded that you are not?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My experiences with Pipestud have shown me that he is a very astute businessman, and a very ethical one.
Also a very effective tobacco blend reviewer. He writes like a professional, which is that he addresses utility instead of surface, and is willing to make astute judgment calls, and separate opinion from observation.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Good thread. The one positive thing I got from all this is that I'll no longer waste time trying to buy anything from Pipestuds site. And I'm glad I finally heard it from the horses mouth that a small group has been buying his stuff up...because I always wondered how all those hard-to-get blends could sell out so quickly. Now I know. Thanks y'all. Now I got to go back and fix Barneys patrol car.

May 4, 2015
What would satisfaction to this complaint look like?
"I'm sorry, customer, you've ordered too recently and it's not fair. I need to leave this listing up for someone else to buy it and my consignment client is just going to have to wait for someone else to come along and maybe buy this tin."
Absurd.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Many online B&M's do limits on tins with the ATTEMPT to avoid mass purchases, Froggy. Now hand me that wrench, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.