PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
In a little over a week, my family and I are heading off to Maui for some R&R. I am staying at a resort called the Grand Wailea. We have had this booked for over a year, and I just noticed that the entire property is "smoke free". You can't even smoke on your own Lanai, according to the website. I have also read on some forums that Hawaii is crawling with anti-smoking nazis handing out tickets left and right. I am starting to get the sense that I should just leave my pipes at home for the 12 days we are there. Is it as bad as I've read? Anyone been there? Yeesh.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I wasn't a pipe smoker the last time we were in Maui, but I had no problems with cigars. We stay at Marriott resorts and cigar smokers were everywhere. I bet no one hassles you on the lanai. Our place was beside the Grand Wailea, it is magnificent!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Doesn't sound much like R&R When you have to leave your pipes behind. Go for a stroll on the beach after dark. That's what I like to do on the rare occasion I find myself on an island paradise. You seem like a pretty serious pipeman peck but if your that worried just bring along a cob or two and have a smoke if the opportunity presents itself. If there is an offshore breeze your golden.
I can see the headline now: "Prominent Lawyer Disgraced and Disbarred for Violating Resort No Smoking Policy" :lol:
Well whatever you decide have a safe and wonderful trip.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
Well shoot, I opened this thread expecting to see spectacular pictures of you smoking your pipe in Maui!
I hope your trip is without hitch, and you have a wonderful relaxing time with - or without your pipes. :)

Dec 24, 2012
Well, I would have thought twice about it if I had known. We are going because my 7 and 8 year old like Hawaii Five-O. So I am sacrificing my pleasure for theirs.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Sorry to hear about that peck. What's the world coming to where you can't smoke on your vacation!?! That's precisely why I never go out. Hotels, restaurants, bars ... You name it. To have to PAY for the privilege of NOT smoking and to be forced into conversations with total strangers. No thanks. My home is my vacation. Best part its vacation time 24/7, as long as I'm not at work, the shrimps are on the barbie, the beer's on ice, and the Latakia is a smouldering. We have a quarter acre of paradise, and I work to maintain said premises. As for not smoking in public: I don't mind not smoking at work because they PAY me not to smoke. And I can live with that.

Dec 24, 2012
Kash, for what this places charges, it should come with a trained monkey in a bellhop outfit who follows me and lights my pipe whenever it goes out.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Amen peck. I've given up on the system long ago. I try to live "off-grid" as much as possible. After 20 yrs. in the restaurant business the last place I want to take my meals is outside the house. LOL. What gets me is the cash burn rate every time I leave the house. I'd rather not support the service industries which is pretty much what this country has become, after we outsourced all our manufacturing. For all practical purposes I've become a house-bound hermit. But one with many friends and acquaintances. Its just if they want to see me, they can find me at home. I'm done running all over tarnations to keep up with the Joneses. But I wish you a good trip. I was in Hawaii thirty years ago, and it is indeed lovely. Bring a couple of your Cookes and a Roush or two, plus three tins of your favorites. As I'm sure the opportunity will present itself. You can always rent a car and take a smoking drive. Some of my best smokes have been behind the wheel.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Heh. My Toyota FJ Cruiser is my smoking lounge. My home away from home. If you can't load, char and light whilst going 65 mph, do so before you leave your driveway. Smoking and driving were made for each other. Don't forget to send us some pics peck! I want to see you with pipe clenched behind the wheel of a rented Porsche 911, Lei streaming out the window, with palm trees in the background. LOL.

Dec 24, 2012
Nah, we rented a Jeep Wrangler. My wife would strangle me and leave me in a ditch if I smoked with the kids in the car, lol. I would become an episode of Hawaii Five-o.

papa

Lurker
Apr 24, 2013
Dallas Tx.
Peck, call Sir.Wilfreds coffee and cigars, Maui. Ask them about island smoking. We were in Maui, and Ohau, 3 yrs ago and smoked cigars, and on other visits, over the years, and never had a problem. Kauai, has cigar manfu. Co. Great Kona Coffee. Having said this, hell things could have changed. I think the state of Hawaii, is working on a new tobacco tax? The resort your staying at is very nice. On our last visit, as we were leaving our room, so was Joe Montana and family next to us. Alot of stars, if that floats your boat. You all will have a great time.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
What kind of R& R would that be?! Hope you can bring your pipes Peck - let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.