PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Does anyone here have pipes that they don't smoke? Not talking about bad smokers, or broken pipes but rather perfectly good ones you just never use. I usually smoke every pipe I have unless they aren't good smokers. Have a few that are over a century old that I smoke. The exception to that are nine Walt Disney World pipes that I have that I have never smoked. Honestly don't know why I haven't, just never have.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I eventually smoke all I have. I just have to find the pipes that are the "Best" smokers for me.

If it meets my visual acceptance, and smokes better than a pipe already in my rotation, I ether replace one, or just add it to the ones I smoke.

Every so often, (whenever the notion strikes me), I'll ether get rid of some of the replaced pipes or put them somewhere that I may need an extra pipe...

I guess I could become a "Pipe Hoarder" if I ever run out of places to stash them...rotf

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I collect Kaywoodie Thorns, I don't smoke any of them. They're close to 100 years old. I guess thats not really an excuse because I smoke all my meerschaums and some of them are 130 years old 🤷‍♂️. I also always have hard time bringing myself to smoke unsmoked vintage and antique pipes. I generally end up selling them.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I collect Kaywoodie Thorns, I don't smoke any of them. They're close to 100 years old. I guess thats not really an excuse because I smoke all my meerschaums and some of them are 130 years old 🤷‍♂️. I also always have hard time bringing myself to smoke unsmoked vintage and antique pipes. I generally end up selling them.
I prefer an estate pipe to have been smoked prior to my smoking it, for some reason.

In fact, I have reservations about being the first to smoke a completely restored estate, or a brand new pipe.
I fully understand your not wanting to smoke any of your vintage pipes.

Weird? It's all speculative.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
If they don’t get smoked, they don’t get to stay. I’m always “upgrading” my collection. Cobs are the exception. I don’t look at them the same as real pipes 😁😁
I seem to give most, if not all my cobs away to folk who express an interest in pipe smoking.

Need to replenish my stock...
That's an incorrect statement. I don't have any stock right now!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Like @rustiepyles I have a number of vintage unsmoked pipes (usually in original packaging or matched sets in cases) that I keep pristine to preserve the history rather than smoke them and just turn them into another used pipe. I appreciate and celebrate that the pipe and its packaging survived for so many years in its virginal state—it’s much rarer and special in that unused condition. Quite often, used versions of the same shapes or models are available that I can smoke without feeling like I’m destroying history.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Yes I have some "vintage" pipes like a gourd calabash and one or two other oddities like a carburettor pipe that I don't use. I should probably put them on eBay for others to get use out of them .also have a brand new Vauen that I just can't bring myself to use. Its just to handsome for my plebian smoking self to mess up 😜